Excerpt - Andrew

Winteringham Local History and Genealogy

An Excerpt from ‘The History of Winterton and the Adjoining Villages’ by W Andrew 1836

From the book in Rose Oglesby’s collection originally owned by William Burkill, and then his son Thomas, and then his son Herbert

For scans of the original pages click here, and for the list of subscribers to this book, click here

A History of Winterton and Adjoining Villages1

The inscription inside the book in Rose Oglesby’s collection

A History of Winterton and Adjoining Villages2 A History of Winterton and Adjoining Villages3

The title page (left)


the dedication (right)

[Page 84]

Winteringham, probably once a borough
town, is noticed by Stukely, as the Abontrus,
and by other antiquaries, as the Ad Abum of
the Romans.  It is pleasantly situated on the
summit and declivity of a piece of ground,
which is washed at its base by the river Abus,
or Humber.

Winteringham is a long straggling place,
about seven miles westward of Barton, and
according to the returns in 1821, it contained
159 houses, and 745 inhabitants.  About
half a mile to the east of the present town, the
old Roman road, already noticed as the Her-
men Street, was interrupted by the Humber. 
On this spot was also, most probably, the
Roman station, corresponding with that of
Brough, or Petuaria, on the opposite shores of
the river.  That this was the exact situation
of the old town appears the more likely, be-
cause both the haven-mouth, anciently called
Flashmire, was evidently eastward of the
present one; and also the straight line of the
old road from Lincoln, would terminate at the
same place.

It will not be unconnected with the present
history, to say something more respecting the
old Roman road: the one now about to engage
the attention, being probably the first which
they constructed. This seems the more likely,
because it alone has retained the original
name, which was common to all such roads;
for the expression "Hermen Street," is of
Saxon origin, answering to the Latin "via
or military way. This noble road,
when viewed in its full extent, was intended
to be a meridian line, running through Lon-
don, to the utmost bounds of Scotland, and
evidently directed its course as nearly due
north and south as possible. It was, there-
fore, worthy of possessing the name which it
has so long retained.

The site of old Winteringham was almost
enclosed with water, having only a slip of land
towards the Roman road, as an entrance. It
is, therefore, well described, as "a peninsula
between the Humber and Ankham." On the
east side, there was a spring of fresh water,
which was considered a great rarity, arising
so near an arm of the sea. About one hun-
dred and twenty years ago, there was some
stone work remaining round this spring, and
also an iron ladle, for the convenience of tra-
vellers. The older inhabitants of Wintering-
ham still dwell with a mixture of wonder and
pleasure on these by-gone days, concerning
which they have heard their forefathers speak,
as remembering the time when very con-
siderable foundations were exposed in the
necessary works of their agricultural pursuits.
At the period to which this refers, the old town
may be said to have been literally ploughed
up; for many Roman antiquities were there
found, amongst which are particularly men-
tioned pavements and chimney stones, some
so large, and so near the surface of the soil,
as to injure their ploughshares. In several
other places were discovered evident traces of
streets, made of sea-sand and gravel. It is,
indeed, expressly mentioned by an old author,
that at the termination of Hermen Street, a
small Roman road branched off directly west-
ward, passing over Whitton-brook, to the
Aquis of the ancients, which place is now
called Alkborough.

The following is extracted from a passage in
one of Dr. Stukely's letters, written at the then
village inn, or ferry-house, at Winteringham,
and bearing date the 24th July, 1724.-"This
"place," he says, "is over against Brough,
"the Roman town, on the Yorkshire shore,
"but it is rather more eastward, so that with
"the tide coming in they ferried over very
"commodiously thither, and even now they are
"forced to take the tide. The present Win-
"teringham is still a corporation, and the
"mayor is chosen only out of one street, next
"the old town, where was a chapel; the bell of
"it now hangs in a wooden frame, by the pillory,
"and makes a most ridiculous appearance. I
"am persuaded the old name of this station was
"Abontrus, the same as the name of the river,
"whence they have formed the mimic Win-
"teringham. Here is a vast jaw-bone or rib
"of a whale, that has lain time out of mind,
"like that at St. James's! The church stands
"on the end of the Lincolnshire Alps. Well
"may the Humber take its name from the
"noise it makes: for my landlord, who is a
"sailor, says, in a high wind it is incredibly
"great and terrible, like the crash and dashing
"together of ships. We passed by the spring
"at old Winteringham, and the marsh at the
"mouth of the Ankham; and came to Ferriby-
"Sluice, a stately bridge of three arches, but
"now broken down and lying in dismal ruins,
"by the negligence of the undertakers. Tra-
"vellers are now obliged to pass the river in
"a paltry short boat, commanded by a little
"old deaf fellow, with a long beard; into this
"boat you descend by the steep of the river,
"through a deep miry clay, full of stones and
"stakes, nor is the ascent on the other side
"any better, being both difficult and danger-
"ous, truly we might here translate Virgil's
"'Huic via Tartarci quae fert Acherontis ad
"undas &c.'"

"Hence the way leads to Ferriby forlorn,
Where Ankham's oozy flood, with hideous roar
Tears up the sands and sluices ruin'd vaults;
A squalid Charon the dread ferry plies
In leaky scull, whose furrowed cheeks lie deep
With hoary beard insconc'd ----."

The early history of Winteringham, like
that of most other places, is enveloped in much
obscurity; it is therefore best to remain silent
on this subject, since superstition and fiction
are the only materials that could afford us any
assistance. It may, however, be well to ob-
serve that the antique remains which exist on
the spot and in the neighbourhood, sufficiently
attest the village to have been of Roman
origin. From the period of the Romans to the
time of the conquest, our manuscript in its
first pages, shows us how frequently the
inhabitants of the banks of the Humber
were visited by the warlike and predatory
Danes.   Doubtless this place, as well as
Winterton, derived its present name from their
having often wintered in this part of the
country; indeed particular mention is made
of their being here, on the 12th of November,
1012, on the night of which day a general
massacre of these people took place.

The earliest notice of Winteringham, is to
be found in the very ancient record of Dooms-
day, which valuable piece of antiquity is still pre-
served in the Chapter House, at Westminster.

In the county of Lincoln, and amongst the
enumerations of the different lands there of
Gilbert de Gant, or, as he was sometimes called
Gaunt, or Ghent, is the following passage:-

"Manor.  In Aplebi, and Risebi, and
"Salecliff', Ulf had two carucates of land to
"be taxed; there is a priest and a church,
"and twelve acres of meadow, value in King
"Edward's time, fifty shillings.-Berewick.
"In Roxebi two oxgangs of land to be taxed;
"land to three oxen.-Manor. In Wintringe-
"ham Ulf had twelve carucates of land to
"be taxed, land to as many ploughs. Ro-
"bert, a vassal of Gilbert's, has there four
"ploughs. There is a priest and a church,
"and three mills, of thirty-seven shillings and
"four pence; and one ferry of thirteen shil-
"lings; and the bed of a fishery, value in
"King Edward's time and now ten pounds;
"tallaged at forty shillings."

This Gilbert de Gant was a younger son
of Baldwin, sixth Earl of Flanders, and was
nephew to Maude, wife of William the Con-
queror, with whom he came into England.
His uncle bestowed upon him, as appears from
Doomsday-book, exclusive of lordships in ten
other counties, no less than one hundred and
thirty in this, of which he made Folkingham his
chief seat, and the head of his barony. He
died in the time of William Rufus, and was
buried at Bardney, being succeeded by his son
Walter, "who confirmed to the church and
"monastery of St. Peter, and St. Paul, and
"St. Oswald, at Bardney, and to the monks
"serving God there, all those lands and pos-
"sessions which his father had given them."

The Marmions succeeded the above family
in the possession of this manor, partly by
marriage, and partly by buying the property
of the last named Gilbert de Gant.  Dug-
dale cites an ancient record, which states
that "Robert Lord Marmion, in the year
"1166, held in Winteringham, twelve knights'
"fees by descent, and three by purchase."
Our manuscript does not refer to this family
for nearly a hundred years after the period
last named; but it states that in 1264,
"Robert Lord Marmion, was owner of the
"whole manor of Winteringham, in Lincoln-
"shire, which after his death, descended to his
"eldest son William, and after his death, to
"his son John, who, in the eleventh year of
"Edward the second, obtained a grant from
"the king, for a weekly market upon every
"Wednesday, at his manor of Winteringham;
"after whose decease, the town and manor
"came to the Lords Grey of Rotherfield, and
"after them to the Lords Fitz Hugh of Hol-
"derness."  From various other sources we
learn that this family were in possession of this
property, several years prior to that mentioned
in the manuscript. The grant above alluded
to, was evidently not the first obtained by the
Marmions, in favour of their estates at this
place; for, according to the Charter Rolls in
the Tower, the first Robert Marmion obtained
a grant for Winteringham as early as the
second year of the reign of King John, 1200.
Again, in the Close Rolls, we find a writ in
the second of Henry the third, 1217, ordering
the Sheriff of Lincoln,-" to deliver seizen of
"the manor of Winteringham, which had be-
"longed to Robert Marmion the younger,
"and to Richard de Rivars."   From the
same source we also learn, that this Robert
Marmion went to the wars for his father, in
the year 1214; and subsequently, in 1219, had
succeeded his father in holding the castle of

It is almost needless to mention that the
Marmions were hereditary champions to the
kings of England, and it is affirmed by some
that they acted in that capacity to the dukes of
Normandy, even before the conquest of this

From the public records it appears that
"Alexander Frevill, in the reign of Edward
"the third, held this same castle, namely
"Tamworth, by that kind of service; yet the
"Frevills lost this honour at the coronation
"of Richard the second, which went by mar-
"riage to the family of Dymockes, in Lincoln-

But to return to the Marmions as more imme-
diately affecting the history of this place; we
would observe that Robert, son to the one who
came out of Normandy with William the first,
died about the eighth year of the reign of
King Stephen, and was succeeded by another
Robert, his son, who was "a justice itinerant
in Warwickshire."   He died in the year
1218, leaving, according to Dugdale, two
sons by different wives, both of the name of
Robert, and a younger son called William;
Robert, the eldest, had Tamworth and Scri-
velsby, and joining the French in Normandy,
against England, had some difficulty in re-
covering his forfeited estates, in the fifth of
Henry the third. He died in 1242, and was
succeeded by his son Philip, who dying in
1312, left four daughters.  Margaret was
-married to Ralph Cromwell, whose daughter
Joane married Alexander de Frevill. Joane,
the fourth daughter of Philip Marmion, was
married to Sir John Dymocke.  By these mar-
riages it appears that Tamworth went to the
Frevills, and Scrivelsby to the Dymockes.

Our present history, however, brings us
immediately into collision only with the des-
cendants of the younger of the two Roberts
before mentioned. This younger Robert de
Marmion held the lordship of Winteringham
with some others, by the special grant of his
father; and it is to be observed, that the mem-
bers of this branch of the family, though they
do not appear to have ever inherited the
championship, yet possessed the higher honour
of being summoned to parliament amongst the
peers of the realm.

From an extinct Baronage of England, it
appears that Lord Fitz Hugh married Eliza-
beth Marmion, the last of that race, and had
issue by such marriage, no fewer than eight
sons and five daughters.

Until the year 1472, it appears that the Fitz
Hughs held possession of Winteringham, and
as Sir Robert Newmarch nine years afterwards
was living at this place, it is not improbable
that he purchased the estate. This, however,
is a mere suggestion to account for the transfer
of the property from one family to another.
The manuscript speaks of the latter family, in
reference to the year 1481, in the following
words. "In the last year of the reign of Ed-
"ward the fourth, Sir John Nevill of Althorpe-
"upon-Trent, married Elizabeth, daughter and
"sole heiress of Sir Robert Newmarch, by
"whom he became lord of the great manors of
"Womersly, Askrigg, and Scothorp, in York-
"shire; and of Whatton and others in the
"county of Nottingham. That which makes
"us take notice of this is, that he was the first
"founder and builder of the neat church at
"Althorpe, whose arms and crest are upon
"the west end of the steeple to this day, quar-
"tered with the Newmarches."

We may remark, that in almost the first
page of the earliest of the parish registers,
there occurs the burial of John Newmarch, in
the year 1597, which is little more than a
hundred years after the time the manuscript
affirms that the baronet of that name was
living here.

The next family of note residing in Win-
teringham, seems to have been the Scorboughs,
or Scarbroughs. The old manuscript states
that "in Henry the seventh's days, this family
"were no small benefactors to the Friars
"Minor of Grimsbie; in requital of whose fa-
"vours to them, these monks did, in the years
"1489 and 1498, under the seal of their con-
"vent, make one John Scorbough and Ales
"his wife; and another Robert Scorbough and
"Elizabeth his wife, partakers of all their
"meritorious deeds, masses, prayers, fasts,
"penances, watchings, preachings, pilgrim-
"ages, and all the rest of their good works;
"and promised to them the Scorboughs, to keep
"their habits whenever they died, and to pray
"for their souls in their provincial chapel."

Both these deeds were said to be extant
on the writing of the manuscript, the seals of
which were on red wax, bearing the impress
of the Virgin Mary, with Christ in her arms
sucking; and under that, the image of Saint
Francis in his monk's dress, kneeling, and
holding up his hands in form of prayer to
her, and about which were these words-
"Guardianus Fratum Minorum

The Church. This venerable pile de-
dicated to All Saints, is a rectory, which
was valued in the time of Henry the eighth,
at 28; but its value, as returned to the Par-
liamentary Commissioners in 1834, was 657.
It is situated at the western extremity of the
village, and though of early date, we are
not able to determine the exact time at which
it was erected. The architecture is of that
style which is generally called the early
English. It has formerly covered much more
ground than it does at present, and there are
evident traces of a further extent to the north.
The arches in the body of the church are very
beautiful, and in all our researches amongst
the neighbouring buildings, we have certainty
met with nothing to be compared with them.
Three arches are particularly worthy of notice,
they are circular, and very highly wrought
with zig-zag ornaments. Over the chief en-
trance, and nearly at the top of the church
wall, is fixed a rudely sculptured figure, not
more than a foot, or a foot and a half in height.
It is not known whom it represents, or for
what purpose it has been placed in its present
situation. Whilst on the subject of images,
mention may be made of a very beautiful spe-
cimen of carved ivory, which belongs to Mr.
Stanewell of Burton Stather, who has kindly
allowed us to inspect it, and also to take a
drawing of it. It is not named in the history
of Burton, because we find it formerly be-
longed to this village. Mr. Stanewell's fa-
mily obtained it many years ago from a
quakeress of Winteringham, called Kirby,
who is said to have been the last member of
the society of friends that resided here. This
ivory relic of monastic ages, represents the
infant Saviour in the arms of his Virgin
Mother. In niches on each side, are angels
holding candles, and below them two nuns at
their devotions; the holy mother forms the
centre of the piece, and she has doubtless once
been richly gilt and painted. This valuable
curiosity has probably once been suspended
round the neck of a catholic priest, or has
served, to ornament the walls of his dormitory.
But to return to the church; at the east end,
and nearly opposite to the chancel door, were
formerly placed a tomb and effigy, concerning
which much has been said, but little proved; -
the prevalent tradition is, that it is "Mar-
mion's tomb;" but some doubt exists as to its
being the identical Marmion whose name Sir
Walter Scott has rendered so imperishable.
Impressed with the hope that it might be
the hero we wished, we hastily penned the
following lines upon it, whilst the fast fading
twilight of a dull November evening was still
further darkened in its obstructed passage
"through the long-drawn aisle."
Lines on Lord Marmion's Tomb
With wond'ring eyes on thee we gaze,
Thou relic old of other days!
And as the lonely twilight grey,
O'er thy cold stone flits fast away;
We fain of thee, would search to know,
What warrior form, lies cold below!-
Dost thou contain the giant limb,
Of Marmion, the bold and grim?
Dost thou, embodied in that earth,
Contain such form of noble birth,
As he who at drear Flodden fell,
Near Syphil Grey's romantic well?-
Speak sculptured soldier!-say what fame
Had'st thou to blazon on thy name ;
For time has worn thy shield away,
And left no lines on thy decay.
Mayhap thou wast of younger date,
Than he, who thus served king and state;
It might be too, that thou hast sprung,
When chivalry was yet but young;
When every heart and voice might raise
To thee, thy due reward of praise!
But, 0! how vain is earthly pow'r,-
The gewgaw honours of an hour;
How few old tombs remain to tell,
Who in their precincts darkly dwell;-
A heap of dust! a stone of grey!
Just serve to show one pass'd away;
But who, or what his fame, might be,
Is hid in deepest mystery!
Thus Marmion;-'tis thy fate to rest
With creeping things a silent guest.

Immediately adjoining the church is the
Rectory-house, which appears to have been
built at different periods, and has the pecu-
liarity of possessing a gable end directed to
each of the four cardinal points. The following
poetry on this rectory is a kind contribution
of Mrs. Richter of Kirton:-

Winteringham Rectory,


A charm is here,-a chastened grace,
A memory that clings
To every fancied lingering trace,
Of unforgotten things.

Yes! unforgotten; for tho' time,
A misty shade has cast!
Since long before thy noon-day prime,
From earth thy spirit past: -

Still Henry, dear to every muse,
Thy melancholy song;
Soft as the morning's early dews
Thy native vales among.
Pure as some happy spirit's hymn,
Among the angel choirs,
Joining the notes of cherubim,
And sung to heavenly lyres.

There was a sadness in thy strain,
From earth aspiring ever;
Seeking its native heaven again,
From things of time to sever,

As if thy pure and sainted spirit,
Felt prison'd in its house of clay ;
Longing that kingdom to inherit,
That home beyond the starry way,

On thy pale cheek and marble brow,
The shadows of the grave were cast,
That laid thy early genius low,-
Too bright-too lovely far to last;

All too etherial for the strife-
The toil-the care, which had been thine;
Better for thee to 'scape from life,
Far, far beyond the stars to shine !

Oh! fashioned of some finer clay,
A beam to this world's darkness given;
That faded all too soon away,
"Sparkled, exhaled, and past to heaven."

We are indebted to Mr. Edward Westoby
for the accompanying view of Winteringham
Church and the Rectory-house, which was
taken from the rising ground a little to the east
of the church; we are likewise obliged to the
same gentleman for his etching of H. K.
White, made during the poet's residence at

To the south of the church is the Hall-close-
hill, and the road leading to it is still called
Yerle, or Earl's Gate; and if these names
did not sufficiently point out the situation of
Lord Marmion's residence, a circumstance
which occurred lately places the matter in
question almost beyond doubt. About forty
or fifty years ago, not only were extensive
foundations discovered on the hill side, but a
leaden pipe was also found, which led to a
very beautiful well, formed of free stone; and
finished in such style as would do no discredit
to a workman of the present day.

Here then has been the residence of several
of the families mentioned in the former part of
our history; and truly few of the nobility
could possess a seat enjoying more splendid
prospects. From the summit, which is called
"Beacon-hill," lying southward, the eye may
have one of the most perfect panoramic views
in this county. On the other three quarters
the prospect is equally extensive, beautiful,
and varied. The west of Winteringham is
terminated by woodlands bordering on the
Trent, which are considerably below the height
whence they are viewed, whilst "the hill-side
villages" as they are called, form an elevated
boundary to the east.

Immediately in front, and looking over the
parsonage and church, is the broad expanse
of the Humber, whose shores are thickly
studded with villages and seats; whilst the
very distant line of the Yorkshire hills, forms a
noble horizon for the picture. The beauty of
the scene is considerably increased when the
tide is rapidly bearing upon its mighty cur-
rent a crowd of sailing vessels and numerous
steam boats, which at once give life and ani-
mation to the picture.

We fear the details of the history of Win-
teringham will be rather tedious to some of
our readers, so by way of variation, we subjoin
a few "parochial odds and ends," gleaned
from the records of the parish, and from its

The following singular enactments occur in
the oldest parish-book, containing its "ack-
with the churchwarden and over-
seers.-Amongst some bye-laws agreed upon
at a parish meeting held at "Winteringham,
January the 6th, 1685, it was thus ordered:-
"Item. That none shall burne or bake at
"any unlawfull time of night on paine of three
"shillings and four-pence. Item. None shall
"dry any hempe or flax by the fire upon paine
"of three shillings and four-pence.   Item.
"None shall smoke tobacco in the streets upon
"paine of two shillings for every default."

The registers of baptisms, marriages, and.
burials, begin as early as the year 1562; and
contain many curious entries highly charac-
teristic of the times in which they were written.
At the season to which we refer, the banns of
marriage were not always published in the
church, as appears from the following entry.
"The purpose of marriage betwixt Thomas
"Wressell of this parish, and Margaret
"Davison of Burton-super-Stather, was the first
"time published in our markett. upon Satur-
"day, April 19th, the 26th, and the 3rd of
"May, 1656. They were married. Matthew
"Geree Register."

The following Latin entry by Boteler, relates
to the unfortunate death of Sir John Wray's
son, "Theophilus Wray, generosus filius
"Dom. Johs. Wray Militis et Baronetti,
"phreneticus, qui se submersit, Novembris
"21, 1664." We have next an entry of a
very different character. "Johannis filius
"Michaelis Snowden, servi mei, quem ante
"conjugium susceperat nequam ex Susanna
"Henton, ancilla uxoris mei. Miscreatur
"eorum Dominus, 1666!"

It is very singular that in the register of
marriages for the year 1658, eight men were
married in succession, the Christian name of
each being Thomas: unimportant as this fact
confessedly is, still for its singularity we dare
challenge the register of any other parish to
produce so remarkable a coincidence.

The churchyard of Winteringham contains
nothing very worthy of notice,

Rectors and Curates of the church of
All Saints, in Winteringham, from the year
1611 to the present time.
1611 Thomas Foreman.
1622 Thomas Rainbow.
1649 Edward Boteler.
1673 William Potter.
1680 Nicholas Sye.
1723 --- Fosse.
1726 Thomas Adam.
1774 Robert Storey.
1781 John Lawson.
1783 Samuel Knight.
1784 The Hon. John Lumley.
1799 Lorenzo Grainger.
1808 Francis Swann.
1833 Henry Newmarch.
1835 The perpetual advowson of this living
was sold by auction to the Rev, J.
C. Rudstone Reed, of Frickley Hall,
near Doncaster, for 6,050.

Thomas Adam was born in the year
1700, and became rector of this place in 1726.
He lived at a time when the pulpit and
reading-desk were generally at variance. He
preached like most of the clergymen of that
period, with a very imperfect knowledge of the
gospel. After indulging- in worldly amuse-
ments, and performing a regular round of cold,
mechanical services for some years, and seeing
no fruits of his labours, he became distressed;
but the eyes of his understanding being opened
by divine mercy, he was eminent for his
piety, usefulness, and unwearied benevolence
to the poor. He relieved twelve widows, two
of whom attended every Sunday morning
before divine service, and received one shilling
each: on the death of Mr. Adam, the late
Mr. Westoby continued the same bounty to
them for the rest of their lives. Mr. Adam's
name will be long honoured in the church, as
the author of "Private Thoughts on Religion,"
and his Exposition of St. Matthew. A life of
this excellent man is now publishing by the
Rev. Amos Westoby, M. A., of Emberton in
Buckinghamshire, which will be followed by
an Exposition of the other three Gospels
written by Mr. Adam, though hitherto un-
published. These have providentially fallen
into Mr. Westoby's hands and will no doubt
be found a valuable acquisition to the Chris-
tian world.

Lorenzo Grainger was born at Howden;
he was assistant to the Rev. Joseph Milner of
Hull, and in 1799 became the zealous, labo-
rious, and charitable curate of Winteringham,

He was also eminent as a teacher of youth;
many now in high stations can bear testimony
to his great worth, learning, and piety. He was
the well known tutor of Henry Kirke White;
and also of his friend, Henry White Almond.

In noticing the life of Mr. Grainger, our
friend Mr. Westoby of Scarborough, directs the
reader's attention to the following extract from
the biography of the "Winteringham clergy-
men, taken from an address to the inhabitants
of this village, by the Rev. Henry Newmarch,
the present curate.

"It is now more than a hundred years since
"Mr. Adam first spread amongst you, the
"simple, yet wonderful truths of redemption,
"and showed the effects of grace upon his own
"heart, not only by his preaching, but also by
"a life spent in glory to God and good will to
"man. His labours of love were granted to
"his people for the unusual period of more
"than half a century; and when at last in a
"full old age he was gathered to the home of
"his fathers, and the bosom of his God, he
"was succeeded by Mr. Knight, who for
"twenty years exercised his ministry in speak-
"ing faithfully, yet affectionately, the engrafted
"word, which is able to save your souls. And
"when he was removed from you, his place
"was supplied by your late respected curate,
"Mr. Grainger, who for more than thirty
"years, earnestly besought you 'in Christ's
"stead to be reconciled to God,' pointing out
"to you the way of salvation, not only by the
"arguments of scripture, but also by the force
"of a holy and christian example."

Henry Kirke White "This scholar,
enthusiast, and poet of brief days," came
under the tuition of Mr. Grainger in the latter
part of the year 1804. It appears from the
published account of his life, that White had
injured his health by intense study, previous
to his taking up his residence at the rectory
house in Winteringham, and before the El-
land Society had promised to assist him in his
future pursuits at Cambridge. He entered
upon his preparatory studies, and his university
career, with a frame already weakened by
those very exertions which were now required
if possible to be increased. We need not then
be surprised to find, that soon after he com-
menced his studies at this place, he was la-
bouring under a severe attack of illness. In
some of his letters he mentions the kindness as
well as the benefit he received on this occasion
from Mr. Eddie of Barton, and thus the threat-
ened evil day was for a time delayed.

The following animated description of the
scenery around Winteringham, is extracted
from one of his letters to his friend Mr. B.
Maddock of Nottingham. It is dated August,
1804. "Winteringham," he says, "is indeed
"now a delightful place, the trees are in full
"verdure, the crops are browning the fields,
"and my former walks are become dry under-
"foot; which I have never known them to be
"before. The opening vista from our church-
"yard, over the Humber, to the hills and re-
"ceding vales of Yorkshire, assume a thou-
"sand new aspects. I sometimes watch it at
"evening, when the sun is just, gilding the
"summits of the hills, and the lowlands are
"beginning to take a browner line.   The
"showers partially falling in the distance,
"while all is serene above me; the swelling
"sail rapidly falling down the river, and not
"least of all,-the villages, woods, and villas
"on the opposite bank sometimes render this
"scene quite enchanting to me."

During the few hours that Kirke White
allowed himself for relaxation, one of his fa-
vourite pursuits was to stray along the banks
of the Humber, and there contemplate the
beauties of nature, of which he way so ardent
an admirer.   He frequently directed his
footsteps to the village of Whitton, distant
from Winteringham about two miles. This
place seems to have been generally resorted to
by him; and on the sands there, until very
lately, stood his favourite tree, whereon be
had cut H. K. W., 1805." An engraving
of this tree was given in "The Mirror" for
the month of March, 1836; and since that pub-
lication, the tree, which might have withstood a
little longer the storms of the elements, has been
cut down by the woodman's axe. But in vene-
ration for the respected memory of our Not-
tinghamshire poet, the initials have been care-
fully taken from the tree, and are now placed
as a curiosity in an elegant gilt frame !*

The annual value of property assessed at
Winteringham in 1815, was 7166; and
although Lord Carrington possesses much

* Near the tree just alluded to, was another which
grew higher up the bank, on which White engraved
the following words-

"Don't you see the silvery wave;-
Don't you hear the voice of God!"

These lines, however, live only in the remembrance of
those who surround his once much favoured retreat,-
for they are totally effaced; like their author they
have passed away for ever, and can no more be gazed
upon by the mortal eye of man. In his own beautiful,
simple, and striking words we may add-

"Hush'd is the lyre-the hand that swept
The low and pensive wires,
Robb'd of its cunning, from the task retires."

"Yes-it is still-the lyre is still;
The spirit, which its slumbers broke-
Hath pass'd away,-and that weak hand that woke
Its forest melodics, lost its skill!"
property in the parish, there are some freeholds
belonging to other individuals.

In the event of a rail road being established
on the northern shores of the Humber, it is
certain that this village will thereby be ma-
terially benefited. The old Roman road may
once more be brought into requisition; and
though it is to be hoped that "Hermen Street"
will never again become a military way, still
it is probable that when the country shall have
become further intersected by these improve-
ments, this straight line of road from Lincoln
to the Humber will no longer be suffered to
remain in its present almost useless state. A
steam boat would doubtless be established at
this ferry, when the projected rail road on the
opposite bank, would afford a speedy and con-
venient mode of conveyance to Hull and Be-
verley; and at the same time prove the justice
of Stukely's remark, "that it was ill judged
"of travellers to desert the old Roman way,
"and ferry, and turn the road to Barton."

Note: I have tried to remain faithful to the original in the manner of line breaks etc.

Some of the titles in the original are in Old English font which I have indicated in bold lettering.

The figures in [square brackets] indicate the original page number.

Italics are used as in the original script.

A smaller font is used where it occurred in the original - usually for lines of poetry.

The original pages can be seen by clicking here ... but may take a considerable time to download depending on the speed of your internet connection.

To see the scans of the full list of subscribers, please click here

Have you tried the other Winteringham Websites?
Winteringham News, Don Burton World of Nature Photo Archive (modern photographs of the village), What the Papers have said about Winteringham (since July 2004), High Resolution Historical Photographs , Winteringham Film Archive, Winteringham Nature Site, Winteringham Recipes, Winteringham Camera Club, Winteringham Village Hall, Winteringham Chapel


If you have difficulty using the “Contact Winteringham” button, then simply cut and paste into your email.

Winteringham Info Favicon