THE Author in writing this short Handbook and
Guide to Winteringham and its environs, has
been actuated by the thought that in the not
far distant future the District may attract many visitors
who will naturally like to read something of the places
they are visiting. At present, to the other parts of
England, Winteringham and its surrounding Villages and
Towns is little known even by name, As an illustration
of this the Author was travelling up from King's Cross
during last year and at that Station the Ticket Collector
asked for Tickets. He was shown a ticket to Frodingham
with the remark that it was the intention of its holder to
change at Doncaster. The man looked very blank and
returning the ticket said " Oh you are going that way are
you," but it was quite obvious he did not in the least
know where Frodingham was.
Now we are to have the Keadby Bridge, a means of
inducing many more Cyclists and Motorists to visit the
district, there is to be a Railway to Barton-on-Humber
from Scunthorpe via Winteringham- and one hears of all
kinds of works to be erected or in course of erection-
there is a guide to Settle and its district: why not to as
interesting a district as Winteringham with its glorious
views and splendid air-hence this effort.
The Author has taken the liberty of quoting certain
parts of the Revd. Canon Fowler's booklet on Winteringham
Church, and gratefully tenders his acknowledgments; he
is also indebted to a History of Winterton and the
adjoining Villages published in 1836, by Mr. W. Andrew,
and to the late Miss Fowler for much information culled
from her book " Between Trent and Ancholme."
Many friends have been most kind in their help in
supplying interesting facts and finally the Author tenders
his thanks to Mr. D. L. Andrew for his able assistance
in editing this little work:-coming as the Author does
from Berkshire, most beautiful County, he can only quote
the old saying ' Happy is the Child that is born between
Trent and Ancholme and there abide." North Lincolnshire
has a charm, all its own, and Winteringham one of the
most beautiful of all English Villages, that is saying
much, is the Queen unsurpassed of all the surrounding
villages, beautiful as they are.
It is probably certain that the origin of the name
Winteringham or Wyntryngham arose from the
earliest Anglian times and the place was thus called
from being the homestead of the " Wyntryngs." Looking
back over the Centuries now past the reader can readily
imagine for himself or herself what a delectable place it must
have been when, after a rough voyage in their rudely made
vessels, the Wyntryngs sailed up the Humber or Abus as it
was then called, from the Baltic shores, and landed on the
site of old Winteringham-then a peninsular almost enclosed
with water, having only a slip of land towards the Roman
Road as at entrance. Thus the Angle Chief, exiled wanderer
from his native shores, established himself and his family on
the shores of Britain and handed his name down as a lasting
memory of ages and generations almost forgotten. It will
probably be as well at this point to give a few facts as to the
Roman occupation of Britain, especially in view of their
activities in Lincolnshire.
N,B,-The Author wishes to point out that according to some
authorities the name Winteringham is derived from the
Danes and Angles having Wintered in Winteringham
and Winterton, " ham " being a place and " ton " a town.
The Roman Emperor Julius Caesar, first invaded Britain
in B.C. 54, but withdrew with all his legions, in the following
year B.C. 55. Ninety-five years later in A.D. 40 the
Emperor Caligula, instigated by the renegade son of a British
chief, attempted another invasion, but it was not until AD
43, that Claudius successfully invaded and over-ran the
County with the Roman Legions. After 16 days his army
saluted him with the Title of Imperator, and he return to
Rome to assume the name of Britannicus and to be wor-
shipped as a god. He established governors of various
districts; but it was not until A.D. 78, that Agricola the
Roman Governor planted garrisons and fortresses throughout
the land, and peacefully settled the Country from the Thames
to the Severn, and from the Humber to the Dee. No doubt
it was under this Governor's administration that the ancient
Roman Highway, Hermen Street, now known as Ermine
Street was made, and doubtless also the Roman Station, Ad
Abum (literally the road to the Abus) was formed. This
Roman Station was probably near where the Grange Farm
(Mr. Walter Sewell) and " Eastfield " (Mr. Simon) now stand
and as evidence of this many Roman Antiquities were found,
and it is said considerable foundations were exposed in the
necessary works of the forefathers of the village in their
Agricultural pursuits. This subject is also referred to in the
paragraphs on South Ferriby.
The landing of the Angle chief above referred to would
probably have been in or about the year A.D. 490, but it is
of course impossible to do more than surmise as to the exact
In A.D. 672, Queen Etheldreda when fleeing from her
husband, King Ecgfrid of Northumbria, sailed, probably from
Brough and landed at Winteringham, but instead of going
down the Hermen Street she turned aside, crossing the marshes
which then surrounded it, and stayed a few days at
Alfham (now West Halton). She there founded a Church
(which is still dedicated to St. Etheldreda). Legend has it
that stayed in what is now the Rectory, then the house
or stronghold of the Chief of the Alf Angle tribe and en
passant it may be said that there is every possibility that at
least the foundations and the lower part of the Walls of the
Rectory, which are of the utmost antiquity, may have been
standing as they now are when this fugitive Queen and Saint
paused in her troubled flight on her way to Ely where she
founded the great double Monastery. There is also a legend
that this Queen and Saint took Sanctuary in Winteringham
Church, but the first historical reference to a Church at
Winteringham is in Domesday Book, about 1086. The same
Book also states that Winteringham then had a priest,
a mill, a ferry, and a fishery.
Before going further it may be as well to point out to
the Visitor the various points of Historical interest in
the vicinity of Winteringham and at Winteringham itself.
All Saints' Church, Winteringham. -In the last
Chapter the Church at Winteringham was stated to be
referred to in Domesday Book about 1086. Canon Fowler
in his booklet above mentioned states that " considerable
portions of that Church in all probability still exist, worked
into the present building. The quoin-stones of the original
nave may be seen outside on either side of the present Tower
The first chapter in the history of the building would now
appear to be that there was in the 11th century an aisleless
nave of lofty proportions, similar to the few that still exist
of that early date. There would be a small rectangular
chancel, and the opening from the nave would be a narrow
but lofty round-headed chancel arch. Whether there was
then a tower or not, we have no means of knowing." It is
not proposed to give more than a brief sketch on the points
of interest in this ancient edifice. The visitor on entering
the Churchyard will be struck by the somewhat large propor-
tions of the Church for a comparatively small place
Winteringham according to the last census having only some-
thing over 600 inhabitants. The explanation is probably that
the population of the village has decreased in these latter
days-certainly in 1821 it had 745 inhabitants.
The visitor will do well to notice the columns and
arches-different on either side of the Church. In a recess
on the North Side of the Chancel is a recumbent figure. At
one time it lay within the Altar rails, then it was placed
beside the font, now it is in the recess from which it is
believed to have been taken. It is a remarkably fine example
of a military effigy of early fourteenth century date, The
figure is cross -legged, which posture is now well known to be
no indication of a Crusader. The hands are placed palm to
palm. The body is clothed from head to foot in chain
armour, over which is a surcoat. The sleeves of the coat of
mail are prolonged so as to form the gauntlets, which are
held close round the wrists by bands or thongs. The
knees are protected by knee-plates secured to the chain
leggings by thongs passing through holes, in and out, and
each bears two heart-shaped shields now blank. The Coat
of Mail is adjusted to the figure by a strap around the waist.
At the lower edge appears what may be a camissa or tunic
worn under it. The straps of the spurs appear round the
ankles. The shield is quite plain, having unfortunately been
only painted, not carved, in the first instance. The sword is
sheathed, but a large portion is broken away. The head of
the Warrior is supported by two angels, and the feet by a
lion. The head of one of the angels is broken off and lost,
the other is a sort of skull cap, but no distinct circlet or
crown. This effigy probably represents one of the Marmions,
who were lords of Winteringham from 1166 to 1325, after
which the lordship and patronage went to the female line, and
the last of the family to present to the Rectory was the Lady
Alice de Gray or de Marmion, in 1371. Tradition has it that
it is the original Marmion whose name Sir Walter Scott has
rendered so imperishable, but of course there is no direct
proof. It is not known what has become of any earlier font;
the present one was made in 1850 or 1851.
Built into the east wall of the new transept is a small
figure in a recess, not more than a foot or a foot and a half
in height. The late Rector of Winteringham, The Revd. H.
T. Sale was of opinion that it related to the burial of a heart,
as it was the custom for the erection of such figures on heart
burials. The figure represents a man in a short tunic and is
somewhat rudely sculptured. In the south wall of the
transept, outside, is inserted a stone with two incised floriated
crosses, and the words X Robertus Jones and Eva, with three
other words not made out. Nothing is known as to what or
who these letters refer to. In the tower are many large
squared gritstones, which may have come from a pre-
Conquest Tower or from the old west wall of the nave. The
use of grit is frequently a characteristic of Pre-Conquest work,
and this must have been brought from Yorkshire by water.
Similar stones are to be seen in the Church Tower at Burton-
On the south side of the Sanctuary is a drain with a
square basin to the west of which basin the shelf is plain.
The pillar between the two arches in front of the recess is
pierced by a hole just below the capital as if for a curtain rod.
On the north side of the Chancel are two recesses, the larger
has a segmental arch, and the smaller a pointed one. They
may be of the same date as the Chancel between 1200 to 1250
or they may have been inserted, but, as the walls are
plastered, this point cannot be determined. The smaller and
eastern recess has been provided in order to contain the
Easter Sepulchre, a wooden construction that was used in the
ceremonies of Holy Week when a more elaborate Ritual was
observed in the Church of England.
The Church in its original state would be the scene of
the confirmation of the election of William de St Barbara,
Dean of York, as Bishop of Durham. We are told that while
he was absent at a Council in London, quite unaware of what
was going on in the North, he was elected by the Prior and
convent to be their Bishop, 14th March, 1143, and that as
he was returning to York, they met him at Winteringham on
the Humber. There they confirmed the election, and
although he was quite unwilling and very reluctant, they
dragged him to the altar in Winteringham Church, singing
Teum laudamus, according to the then order in such
cases He was consecrated at Winchester, June 20th,
and returned to York, June 30th, in the same year, no doubt
by the way of Winteringham, and Ermine Street, where he
may have again visited the Church.
There is no ancient glass in the Church, but many of the
windows are memorials to members of the Read, Westoby,
Scarbrough, and Burkill families, In the chancel is a
window in memory of Thomas Adam, rector, and the west
window of the south aisle is a Memorial to Henry Kirke
White. The central west window is in memory of Edward
Boteler, rector, and of Samuel Knight, and Lorenzo Grainger,
curates. The last mentioned was curate of Winteringham,
1799-1833, and afterwards vicar of Barnetby-le-Wold. He
resided at the Rectory House' and took pupils, one of whom
was Henry Kirke White, of whom more is written on a later
The Bells are none of them very ancient. They bear
the following inscriptions;
1. Robert Sawyer, c.w., 1741
2. Tho. Adam, Rector, Great Benefactor, 1742. Tho. Bell, c.w..
3. Tho. Adam, Rector, and Good Benefactor, 1742.
4. Venite Exultemus Domino, 1705, S.S. Ebor (Samuel
Smith, of York, bell-founder).
5. That Evel thinkes.
The fifth Bell must have belonged to an earlier set. It
bears the device of the eagle and swaddled babe, which has
probably been put on by mistake for a Pelican in her nest
feeding her young, the crest of George Agustus Lumley-
Sanderson, Earl of Scarborough, and probably of the
Sandersons of Sandbeck, who preceded him as patrons of the
benefice from 1723 to before 1784.
The Communion plate, with the exception of an Eliza-
bethan cup and cover, is all comparatively modern.
The height of the Tower from the ground to the top of
the battlements is 64 feet.
There is a list of Rectors and Curates of the Church
hanging on the North Wall near the West end of the Church.
Churchyard and Rectory. In the Churchyard are
some superb elms, and there are also some fine holly trees
bordering the drive to the Rectory. The late Rector, the
Revd. H. T. Sale, shortly before his death, had the tomb-
stone on the grave of The Revd. Thomas Adam, Rector of
Winteringham (of whom more-anon) restored. It is to be
found in the South-west corner of the Churchyard.
Immediately adjoining the Church is the old Rectory
with its associations with Kirke-White now used as a store-
house and stable. It appears to have been built at different
periods, but is only interesting from its association. The
modern Rectory was built during the time the Rev. R. Reid,
was Rector, and is now occupied by the present Rector, the
Revd. C. M. Potts.
The Churchyard contains very little of antiquarian or
historical interest, but on passing out of the Churchyard the
visitor should notice a long flag-stone and a square stone, the
latter having the corner broken off. On the face of the former
of these stones is carved the ten Commandments, and on the
latter the Lord's Prayer. At the moment these lines are
being written there is a scheme on foot to remove these stones
and replace them in their proper position in the Church, and
it is hoped that this will be accomplished at an early date
and the reader will note accordingly.
Registers. The Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and
Burials begin about the year 1562 and are well worth
perusing, they contain some curious entries characteristic
of the times in which they were written. The following entry
is an example (but it should be mentioned in passing that at
the period referred to, banns of marriage were not always
published in the Church). " The purpose of marriage betwixt
Thomas Wressell of this parish, and Margaret Davison of
Burton-super-Stather, was the first time published in our
markett upon Saturday, April 19th, the 26th, and the 3rd of
May, 1656. They were married. Matthew Geree, Register."
The following entry speaks for itself, though one can hardly
imagine a similar entry being made in these days : " Johannis
filius Michaelis Snowden, servi mei, quern ante conjugium
susceperat nequam ex Susanna Henton, ancilla uxoris mei
Misereatur eorum Dominus, 1666 "
To the South of the Church is the Hall-close-hill, and
the road leading to it from Town End is still called Yerle or
Earl's gate ; and if these names did not sufficiently point out
the situation of Lord Marmion's residence, a circumstance
which occurred about 1790, places the question almost
beyond doubt; extensive foundations were then discovered
on the hill side, and a leaden pipe was also found, which led
to a very beautiful well, formed of free stone, and finished in
such style as would do credit to our modern well-sinkers. •
This well is still in existence and there is a pump erected
over it. Its position is to be reached by taking a narrow lane
beside the Church Schools and the well is to the right of the
field into which one emerges in the middle of a fence dividing
that field and another field adjoining the Rectory demesne.
The Village. From the Church to the centre of the
Village one passes a cottage opposite a malt-kiln over which
is a curious inscription. Many theories have been advanced
as to the meaning of this inscription but the Author suggests
the following: "Orobanche Tugurium, April 22nd, 5609''
Orobanche Cottage, April 22nd, 1849.
(the name of a plant) (Latin)
5609 according to the Jewish Calendar.
Continuing up the Village Street one passes a narrow
lane leading to Earl's gate before mentioned ; The Temper-
ance Hall built in 1882, and The Wesleyan Church and
buildings built in 1891, on the right, the Architect for the
latter being Sir Alfred Gelder, M.P. for the Division ; on the
left is Marsh Lane, halfway down which on the right is a
famous spring running into the road, this spring possesses
Chalybeate properties and is much thought of by the neigh-
bouring householders and others. The Visitor is advised to
drink of the spring which is considered to have curative
powers. On the left of Marsh Lane before coming to the
spring is Spring House, a fine old residence the property
Mrs. J. Burkill, who resides there with her daughter Miss
Continuing past the Wesleyan Church one passes on
the left the Village Stores, occupied by Mr. D. L. Andrew (see
advert.) a retired Inspector of Police. In his garden is what
is believed to be an ancient stone coffin, now used as a water
trough for the pump. Close by is the Manor House, occupied by
Mr. W. W. Sutton one of the principal farmers of the Village,
and on the right the Post Office, the Postmaster Mr. E. Bickell
having been a former Schoolmaster in the Village and having
resided there for upwards of 55 years. Opposite the Post
Office is Ferry-lane (a short cut to the Railway Station)
leading down to the Old Roman Ferry, but the pathway
across the fields has now been diverted for Railway purposes.
Gate End. After passing the Post Office the walker
comes to four cross roads with The Bay Horse Hotel (Mrs.
Eden Goodman, Proprietress) at one corner. This is called
Gate End where many of the Inhabitants stand and talk in
the Summer evenings. With regard to Gate End one can
gain interesting information as to the condition of the Village
160 years ago by reading the ' Church of England Magazine
dated 27th October, 1838." Therein is to be found an article
relating to the Revd. Thomas Adam, B.A., Rector of
Winteringham-it appears that in 1753 the Rev. W. Adam
published his " Practical Lectures on the Church Catechism "
and referred to Winteringham as follows :-
' In the spring of the year, cock-fighting was not an
unusual amusement even on a Sunday afternoon. I used
frequently to surprise these disorderly assemblies, which
included farmers and tradesmen as well as labourers.........
About half a mile from the Church and Parsonage, where
the principal street divides the High from the Low Borough
is a space called the Gate End, notorious as a rendezvous for
the idle and profligate This spot commanded a fine view of
the Yorkshire Hills, the Humber, the Haven, and Ferry-boats.
Here a scene of riot and blasphemy, of games, wrestling and
fighting was frequently exhibited. Few persons and especi-
ally strangers could pass without annoyance..... ... Intoxi-
cation was the prevailing vice of the inhabitants. The
Parishioners had right of common pasture over extensive
meadows, and upland grounds for hay. On May Day the
common pasture called the Marsh was stocked with horses,
cows, and other cattle. On this occasion it was usual to
have bull-fighting, and the worst passions of the owners were
High Burgage. To the right from Gate End the street
is now called High Burgage, from the time when Wintering-
ham was a Borough, and leads to the road to Winterton and
At the Town End are some Alms-houses in rather bad
condition. Opposite these is the Village Pump which was
erected in 1911 in memory of the Coronation of King George
V and Queen Mary and opened on the 1st December by
Major Charles Judge, V.D., J.P. (of Hull)-this latter gentle-
man was born in the Village and lived there for fourteen years and
has always been a great benefactor to the Village. On the
occasion of the opening of the pump Major Judge gave a tea
at the " Bay Horse" and entertained the Coronation
In High Burgage is the Primitive Methodist Church
built in 1837, an old building restored, on the same side
is also a shop, the property of Mr. E. Bray by the side
of Mr. Bray's premises is Market Hill, where the old
Market was wont to be held.
Low Burgage. Returning to Gate End Low Burgage
commences by the side of the " Bay Horse " ; on the right
is a free Village Room, where meetings of the Parish Council,
&c., are held, and adjoining is the Reading Room (formerly a
Wesleyan Chapel), with fine Billard and Bagatelle tables.
Both these Rooms have been presented to the village by
Earl Carrington, K.G.. the largest local landowner.
Strangers and visitors are admitted to the Reading Room on
payment of a small voluntary subscription-the membership
fee is 4/- a year. Continuing down Low Burgage is the old
Quaker's Burial Ground in Mr. John Westron's premises.
Older inhabitants of the Village recollect the stones on the
ground, and the grass is never disturbed on this small plot.
Further down Low Burgage on the left is the Station, and
after passing that one soon comes to the Water-side and
Water-side and Haven. -In the summer good boating
can be had in the haven, if one is so fortunate to obtain a boat
from one of the keels visiting the Haven, or one of the local
boat owners. Good fishing and many Eels can be had outside
the Haven, though care should be exercised as the currents
are very strong at certain states of the tide. There is an old
King's Ferry from Winteringham to Brough and the titular
Mayor, Mr. E. Cordeaux, is said to be bound under an old
charter to take anyone across tide and weather permitting.
The fee is usually 2/- and on a fine summer's day it is a
pleasurable experience to so cross the Humber. Mr.
Cordeaux at the time of writing is 97 years old, and of course
would depute this duty to one of the boat owners in the
Village. On a fine day a very pleasant walk can be had on
either side of the Haven along the foreshore, or along the high
bank which protects low lying fields, from the high tides.
Reed's Island may be seen from this bank.
Reed's Island is an Island some 3 miles long by 1 mile
broad, of oval shape containing upwards of 500 acres enclosed
by a high bank, constantly being extended owing to the increas-
ing area of the Island caused by the washing away of the fore-
shore from the Lincolnshire bank. The Island is said to be
the property of the Humber Conservancy and is occupied by
the Messrs. Ford who keep some thousand of head of cattle
thereon. It is entirely grass land and there two houses on the
Island. It would make a pleasant picnic ground and a boating
expedition at the same time, from either Winteringham or
Ferriby Sluice Havens.
Silver Street.-Returning to the Village and to the left of
Gate End is Silver Street. In the grounds of Mrs. Dodds'
house, the fourth on the left, is another spring with Chalybeate
properties. Next door to Mrs. Dodds is a large house owned
by Miss Dudding one of the Scarbrough family, this family,
according to an old manuscript, were in Henry VII's days no
small benefactors to the Friars Union of Grimsbie. The family
name seems formerly to have been spelt Scorbough. Another
member of the family, Mrs. Dickinson, also resides in the
Walks.-There are a variety of interesting walks in the
vicinity of Winteringham, one being along the High Burgage
to Town end and up Earl's Gate along what is now called
Cliff Road, some way along on the right is a field path leading
down to West Halton. There is also in one of the adjoining
fields a very interesting Spring with Chalybeate properties. It is
difficult to give explicit directions to this Spring but no doubt
a guide could be obtained, or one of the men generally working
in the fields would show the way.
There is also the footpath across the fields to Whitton,
this path is north of the Church and leads across a small
bridge over the Little Haven.
View from Hall Close Hill.-It would not be right to
conclude this Chapter on Winteringham without mentioning
the famous view from the top of the Seed's Field adjoining
Close Hill before referred to. The easiest way to reach the
top of this Hill is, starting from Gate End, past the Post
Office, the Village Store and Temperance Hall, where turn to
the left and take the first gate and stile to the right at the top of
a short rise, enter this field through the gate and make for the
top of the Hill where will be seen a seat-slightly to the right.
From this spot can be obtained the best view for miles round,
near this spot was lit the bonfire on the 22nd June, 1911,
(Coronation night), and the Author counted 16 or more bonfires
blazing at the same time.
The Visitor will doubtless find many additional walks,
including one to the picturesque Village of Whitton mentioned
later, but the Author has neither space nor ability to
accurately describe such rambles, which after all are, perhaps
best found out by the individual to suit his or her taste and
Before passing to the places of interest which it is
intended to refer to the Author thought it might be of
interest to refer to those men who now dead have left their
mark on the History of the Village.
William de St. Barbara, and the Marmion family have
already been mentioned and there is also Gilbert de Gant
(Gaunt or Ghent) who was a younger son of Baldwin, sixth
Earl of Flanders, and Nephew to Maude, Wife of William the
Conqueror, with whom he came into England. This high
Noble held in Winteringham "12 carucates of land to be
taxed, x x x x x a Priest and a Church, and three Mills and
one Ferry, and the bed of a Fishery, value in King Edward's
time and now ten pounds ; tallaged at 40 shillings." This
record of Winteringham is also referred to at the end of the
Many names occur from time to time connected with the
history of the Village, but none of special interest to the
present inhabitants of the Village or the Visitor. It may how-
ever be interesting to note in this place that the Marmions
before referred to were hereditary Champions of England, and
it is believed they acted in a similar capacity to the Dukes of
The Revd. Thomas Adam, before mentioned, became
Rector of Winteringham in 1724, he was eminent for his piety
and unwearied benevolence to the poor. His name will long
be honoured in the Church of England as the Author of
" Private thoughts on Religion " and an Exposition of St.
Matthew and the other three Gospels. He was Rector of
Winteringham for 60 years, namely until 1784 and was on
friendly terms with the Rev. John Wesley, the founder of the
Wesleyan Church, and they often corresponded. The Revd.
Thos. Adam was aged 83 at the time of his death (March 31st,
The Revd. Lorenzo Grainger, Curate of Winteringham
in 1799, is reported to have been zealous, laborious and
very charitable, he was also eminent as a teacher of youth,
and was the tutor of the well known Henry Kirke White. He
remained in Winteringham for over 30 years. A tablet is to
be seen on the north side of the Sanctuary in the Church
erected to his memory.
Henry Kirke White was born at Nottingham in March,
1785 and died at Cambridge in October, 1806, aged 21 years.
He came to Winteringham for tuition from the Revd. L.
Grainger in the latter part of 1804, It appears that this Poet
and Scholar had injured his health by intense study,
previous to his taking up his residence at the Rectory house
in Winteringham. It may be of interest to quote portions of
several of his letters to friends in the outside world, which, as
they refer to the Village and surroundings are of double
interest. In a letter to Mr. K. Swann, 20th October, 1804, he
writes: " We are safely arrived and comfortably settled in the
parsonage at Winteringham. The house is most delightfully
situated close by the Church, at a distance from the Village,
and with delightful gardens behind and the Humber before.
Our tutor is not only a learned man, but the best Pastor, and
most pleasing domestic man I ever met with." The ''we''
refers to his friend Henry White Almond. Mr K White.
(refers with great gratitude to the kindness and benefit he
received from Mr. Eddy, the Surgeon from Barton, whose
medical assistance no doubt postponed the threatened break-
down of his health.
In January, 1805, H, K. White writing to his brother
says: " You will not be surprised at the style of this letter,
when I tell you it is written in the Winteringham Packet, on
a heap of flour bags, and surrounded by a drove of fourteen
pigs, who raise the most hideous roar every time the boat
rolls." In another letter written in March, 1805 he says:
"I sailed from Hull to Barton the day before yesterday on a
rough and windy day." Kirke White seems to have frequently
walked to Whitton and in another of his letters, written in
Latin to a Mr. John Charlesworth, of Nottingham, he refers to
''The Petrifying Spring " at Whitton. Kirke White wrote
the immortal " Star of Bethleham " " Clifton Grove'' and
The Revd. C. R. Reed bought the advowson of the living
of Winteringham in 1835, and in 1864 the Revd. Charles
Knowles followed him as Rector, he held the living for 34
years during which time many acts of kindness and generosity
endeared him to his Congregation. The Revd. C Knowles
died in 1898 after a long and painful illness.
The Revd. Henry Towsend Sale accepted the living in 1899
and died in December, 1910. Mr. Sale was a man of singular
piety of life, and much beloved by the Parish and he also died
after a long illness, begun through rolling his lawn when not in
the best of health. His elder sister Miss Marianne Sale died
on Ascension Day, 1911, leaving Miss E. Sale, her sister only
surviving of the three members of the Family who had for
nearly eleven years resided so happily together in the Rectory.
Both the two above mentioned Rectors are buried close
together near the door into the Chancel.
From the dead we must turn to the living and briefly
mention Mr. Edmund Cordeaux titular Mayor of Winteringham.
This old gentleman, before referred to, is 97 years of age and
has lived in the Village since he was 20 years of age. He is
still hale and hearty and attends the Scunthorpe and Brigg
Markets. Winteringham's Mayor is exceedingly well-known
and most highly esteemed.
Major Charles Judge, V.D., J.P., was born at Wintering-
ham, and at the age of 14 years left the village. He now resides
in the City of Hull, of which place he is a prominent citizen,
but often revisits Winteringham and takes a keen interest in
Earl Carrington, K.G. is the largest landowner, and Lord
of the Manor, he was recently the Minister of Agriculture in
Mr. H. H. Asquith's administration, 1911, and at the time these
lines are written is still a Member of His Majesty's Govern-
ment. Lord Carrington has always been most generous in
answering to all appeals addressed to him from Winteringham
and is considered a good Landlord by his tenants.
It may be interesting to note that Mr. Edmund Bickell,
the Postmaster, before mentioned, was for some time School-
master in the Village of Miss Charlotte Bronte's home at
Haworth and Mr. Bickell has vivid recollections of Miss
The Ancestor of Mr. Owbridge of Lung Tonic fame was a
tailor in the Village and it is probable that the inventor of
that famous remedy visited the Village.
Before closing this chapter the Author gives a copy of the
Royal Charter authorising the weekly Market and annual fair;
the Charter runs as follows:-"The King to the Archbishop &c.
greeting. Know ye that we have granted and by this our
Charter have confirmed to our beloved and faithful John
Marmion that he and his heirs for ever may have
every week on Wednesday at their Manor of Wyntryngham
in the County of Lincoln and a Fair there every year to last
for three days, on the Vigil of the day, on the day, and on the
morrow of Saint Mary Magdalene. Wherefore we will and
firmly command for us and our heirs that the aforesaid John
Marmion and his heirs may have for ever, the said Market and
Fair aforesaid with all liberties and free customers to such
Market and Fair belonging. Witnessed by J Winton
Chancellor, Sept. 26th, 1317. Thomas de Brotherton County
of Norfolk and Marechal of England. Hugh de Despensor,
The Mayoralty of Winteringham dates back to the time
when Winteringham was a Borough and had its own Town
Council, and has been continued, though the Council has long
ceased to exist.
There is a Court Leet held which meets every three years
at the " Bay Horse Inn." This Court has a Jury consisting of
24 members, 12 being chosen from the High and the Low
Burgage and 12 from the other part of the Village. The
Clerk to the Court Leet is Mr. F. C. Hett, Solicitor Brigg,
and from documents in his possession it is believed that in
olden times this Court Leet Jury had actually power to
sentence felons to death. The Author believes such power
never to have been repealed, though he can find no record of
their ever having been exercised. A Juryman once appointed
holds office for life. likewise the Mayor. According to Dr.
Stukeley writing in 1724, Winteringham was then a Corpora-
tion, the Mayor being chosen only out of one Street, i.e.
the High Burgage.
General Information :-
The hours of Service at WINTERINGHAM CHURCH are:-
Sundays, Holy Communion 8 a.m.
Matins and Sermon 10-30 a.m.
Holy Communion first and third Sunday 11-30 a.m.
Evening Service with Sermon 6-30 p m.
WESLEYAN CHURCH.-West End:-
Sundays 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH :-
Sundays 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Industries.-There is a Shipyard where small keels and
sailing schooners are built by Messrs. Routh & Waddingham.
-they also do extensive repairs to the same class of vessel.
There are two Malt Kilns, both the property of Messrs.
Moor & Robson.
The North Lincolnshire Chemical Manufacturing Co.
(Messrs. Langton) have their works in Marsh Lane.
Railway to Scunthorpe, 3 trains a day each way.
Railway to Whitton, 2 trains a day each way.
To Barton from Gate End, Monday 8-45 a.m.
To Ferriby Sluice, 8-45 a.m., connecting to Hull by Steamboat,
Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.
To Brigg, Thursday 8-45 a.m.
Mail Cart leaves Post Office at 8-45 a.m. and 5-40 p.m. each
day for Winterton.
Market Boat to Hull from Winteringham Haven as per tides.
DESPATCH :-8-45 a.m., 3 p.m. and 5-40 p.m.
DELIVERY :-8-50 a.m. and 3 p.m.