Each week, the Parish Council website carries a fresh “Winteringham Sunday
Fact”. We didn’t save most of the first 100, but here are those used on the PC website since then.
97: Barbara Hofland wrote a children's book in 1809 called "The History of an Officer's Widow & Her Young
Family" in which the family live "in a neat cottage between Barton and Winteringham in Lincolnshire."
The East Yorkshire Steam Ship Company had a boat built in 1907, called "Winteringham". She was 3,637 grt, and built by J L Thompson & Sons, Sunderland. She was sold just three years later to an Argentinian company and renamed.
99: The Winteringham hymn!
Life is stranger than fiction ...Henry Kirke White wrote the hymn Oft in danger, Oft in woe (originally Much in sorrow, oft in woe) at Winteringham, but it was finished by a 14
year old girl called Frances Sarah Maitland - who later married John Colquhoun ... who had been educated by Lorenzo Grainger at Winteringham about 1820 ... 15 years after H K White had been tutored by Rev Grainger
102: A National School operated in Winteringham before the National School building was erected.
In the later part of the 17th century, and the first half of the 18th century, it was rare for there to be more than four weddings a year at Winteringham Church, but in November 1702, there were FIVE in ONE WEEK, between November 19th and November 26th!
104: Lincolnshire's railways were at their greatest extent between 1913 and 1925. The decline was started when NLLR stations - including Winteringham - closed on 13th July 1925.
Between May 11th and October 11th 1797, there were five weddings at Winteringham Church ... and in each the bride was called Mary!
In 1796, there were four weddings at Winteringham Church in 48 hours ... two on May 17th, and one each on May 18th and May 19th!
In 1912, it cost two shillings to sail across the Humber on Winteringham Ferry to Brough.
108: In 2011, the current Winteringham Primary School will have been open as a school for longer than the
National School was.
109: On May Day the common pasture called the Marsh was stocked with horses, cows, and other cattle, and it was usual on this day to have bull-fighting.
It was a requirement of the Mayor of Winteringham, that he ferry people across the Humber to Brough.
Winteringham's Court Leet met once every three years in the Bay Horse Inn, and probably had the power to sentence felons to death. This has probably never been repealed!
112: Legend suggests
that the Marmion effigy in the church, inspired Sir Walter Scott's book of that name. The book is available to read here: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/marmn10a.txt
113: One of
Winteringham's well known families over a long period of time, was called … Winteringham!
A stained glass window in Winteringham Church states that Thomas Adam died on March 31st 1784 aged 84. He died on March 30th aged 83.
115: 300 years ago Seeds Field was called Bramdale.
116: After the closure of the railway line from Winteringham to Whitton, a suggestion was put forward to turn the trackbed into a road joining the two villages.
William Stukeley made an "aerial drawing" of Winteringham in 1724, not unlike an image you might get from a modern "satnav"!
300 years ago, a vast rib or jaw bone of a whale was a long-time feature seen in Winteringham.
119: Winteringham has had at least 6 different pubs and alehouses
When the road to Scunthorpe was blocked by snow in the winter of 1947, village postmaster Arthur Wardle organised a "relief column" to Winterton.
In 1957, Frank Burkill made the WI a tea trolley on pram wheels. It was called Polly ... from the children’s song “Polly put the kettle on!”
Polly Lives! The WI tea trolley "Polly" made in 1957, is still in the village! Now retired from the regular WI meetings, it comes out for special occasions and exhibitions.
When the Magna Carta was signed in 1215, there were no fewer than three Marmions present - including Winteringham's Robert Marmion the Younger.
300 years ago, the Croft field was two fields, called the Near Middle Close, and the Far Middle Close
Between March and August 1864, 17 young people - almost all of whom were 5 years old or under, died of scarlet fever.
The wonderfully named Theophilus Teall, the Winteringham Stationmaster prior to the Great War, liked the Stationmaster's House so much that he built a copy of it on Winterton Road!
In 1851 Winteringham had 12 shoemakers, and repairers. 50 years later, in 1901, there were just 2, and another 50 years later, Mr Teal was the last one.
Winteringham was almost 600 years ahead of France in one respect … The big celebration of the year took place on July 14th! Winteringham's was a fair held under a charter given by King John, whilst the French started celebrating their Bastille Day in the late 18th century.
129: I do! I do! I do! When two weddings took place at Winteringham Church in July 2008, it wasn’t the first time that this occurred on one day, though comparatively rare. However, in May
1808, the Church hosted THREE weddings on the same day!
130: In the 1660's only five villagers paid tax!
The Living of Winteringham Rectory was one of the most valuable in the whole of the Lincoln diocese in the 18th century, and could therefore attract high-profile Rectors!
BBC's Top Gear programme showed a race between Graham Boanas, and James May driving an Alfa Romeo. The car's final leg was down Booth Nooking Lane and on the track behind the Humber bank.
133: In the mid-1960s, sheep on village farms outnumbered chickens by 2 to 1.
There has only been one religious census, which took place on 30th March 1851. Winteringham Church had no services that day … as the Church was closed for major renovations and repairs!
Winteringham's "Market Day" in the 14th century was Wednesday.
A Burgage was a well-known term used in England from before the 13th century. Usually it was a house on a long plot of land, with the narrow end facing the street, and for which a rent in money was paid (as distinct from a rent paid in services). People in burgages often had voting rights not available to others in the village or town, including for MPs, and if someone bought the majority of Burgage properties in a town could effectively appoint their own MP! In Winteringham, only the people in Low and High Burgage could appoint the mayor!
137: The Post Office Directory of 1861 gives Winteringham's acreage as 3,050, whilst that of 1868 gives it as 3,979!
The centre spot of Winteringham FC's Low Burgage ground is 492 metres from the high water mark of the Humber, and 166 metres from the nearest tidal water (near Haven Bridge). Grimsby Town's Blundell Park is the closest of all English professional grounds to the sea - their centre spot being 212 metres from the sea.
139: John Meggitt was a nailmaker in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
PC Jack Creasey, the village policeman in the 1920s, and his wife, had five children born within 5 years and 10 months!
Bull-fighting was practised in Winteringham. It was common on May Day 250 years ago.
The almshouses at Town End which were still in use in the 1950s, were described as “in rather bad condition” in 1912!
In the early 1950s, Winteringham still had more than 10 "shops".
144: Annual membership to the village Reading Room in Low Burgage 100 years ago was 4 shillings.
100 years ago, the North Lincolnshire Chemical Manufacturing Co.(Messrs. Langton) had their works in Marsh Lane.
146: There are now twice as many houses in Winteringham as there were 200 years ago,
but the population has only risen by a third.
Winteringham has had at least five pubs, a brewery, wine and spirit merchants, a bottle-washing plant, and two maltkilns … as well as locally made soft drinks … and a Temperance Hall!
In 1724, travellers from Winteringham to Ferriby had to use a small ferry boat, as the 3-arched bridge had fallen down. After stepping through miry clay, stones and stakes, intrepid travellers were rowed across the Ancholme by a "little old deaf fellow with a long beard!"
Winteringham Church is built just 8 metres above sea level according to ordnance survey data, lower than any other local church, which include Whitton (12m), West Halton (17m), Winterton (28m), South Ferriby (35m), Alkborough (47m), and Burton (61m)
150: The highest place in Winteringham is 43m (142 feet) above sea level.
151: The population of Winteringham went down for every census from 1861 to 1891, and has gone up for every one of the
152: The only time a fishmonger is mentioned in the directories of the village, was in 1919, when the trade was carried on by William Coleby.
At its greatest extent, Winteringham Parish is over 4 miles long, but at its narrowest is just half a mile wide (not counting the water to the Parish/County boundary in the middle of the Humber).
In the mid-sixties there were twice as many sheep in the village as there were of either people, or poultry!
At least one warship was built at Winteringham. The Swell was a minesweeper, built to be converted to a fishing drifter after the Great War.
At a time when it is considered "too expensive" to defend all the land from a rise in sea level of a few inches or so, it seems strange that in 1795 - when "earthmoving equipment" would consist of wooden shovels and wooden barrows - Winteringham had a Humber bank built, three-quarters of a mile long, and SEVEN FEET high!
157: Although Hewde Lane is unique, it's older name - Puddingpoke Lane - is not!
158: In 1835 there were six daily schools in Winteringham, plus a Sunday School!
In the 1960s there were 45 buses timetabled to, from and via Winteringham each day, with the majority on the Scunthorpe to New Holland (for the ferries) routes.
According to the 1821 Census of Winteringham, 169 different families lived in the 159 occupied houses.
161: Winteringham’s warship - HMS Vanity, was exactly the same length as Shoemaker’s
Lane! (Also known as Nanny Willey’s Lane)
162: Boys and girls boarding schools operated in Winteringham in the early 19th century. They charged £21 to £26 a year. An agricultural
labourer of the time would earn … about £26 a year!
163: Winteringham’s “Three-field system” saw the West Field, between Yarlsgate and Winterton Road, Middle Field between
Winterton Road and Old Street Hedge, and East Field between Old Street Hedge and Ermine Street ... but there were another 9 fields and commons in the parish!
Maps of Winteringham geology, shows it to be one of the most complex parishes in the entire country!
165: Winteringham Station is the only one on the NLLR still standing!
When Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll of Alice in Wonderland fame) visited the village in 1863, he returned to Whitby after a week, leaving Winteringham at 8:30 am, and arriving at Whitby by 5:30 pm having also visited Beverley to see the Minster. This journey can be completed using public transport today! Here's how! Depart Winteringham on the 350 service at 08:39, leaving the bus at 09:08, and joining the 09:14 "HF" service bus to Hull Royal Infirmary (09:26). Walk for 9 minutes to Hull (Rail) and join the 09:44 Northern Rail train to Scarborough, but alighting at Beverley at 09:56. We have allowed 2 hours to view the Minster, before boarding the 12:27 train to Bridlington which arrives there for 12:54. A walk of 7 minutes to Hilderthorpe Road follows, from where we catch the bus to Scarborough, leaving at 13:07, and arriving at 14:09. Another 4 minutes walk to Scarborough Railway Station to join the bus to Middlesbrough at 14:40, arriving at Whitby at 15:40!
167: Winteringham spring water was once compared in beer-making quality to that of Burton on Trent, England’s centre of the trade!
168: Winteringham’s Primitive Methodist Chapel in
High Burgage was certified for worship on 15th March 1862, and the certification was cancelled 82 years later on 30th October 1944 as it had ceased to be used by its congregation as a place of worship.
As Winteringham’s Football Club completes one of its most successful seasons ever, the origins of the first representative team in the village are lost in the mists of time! Winteringham Sports Club was operating over a hundred years ago, and the cricket club used the Croft for decades for its matches.
Winteringham’s current Village Hall has just reopened after remodelling costing many thousands of pounds. The original Village Hall was the Temperance Hall on the corner of West End and Hewde Lane, opened in 1882, at a cost of about £300! It was built after it was decided that the Ferry Boat Inn was too small for many of the village functions.
171: Is this the most unusual address in the Parish Registers? On 11th August 1830, Winteringham Mary Anne Draper married John Harrison ... whose address was “on board the Lapwing, a Revenue
cutter cruising off the Lincolnshire coast”!
172: Long before refrigerators became an everyday piece of kitchen equipment, Winteringham had an ice house!
According to Dugdale's "New British Traveller, Volume 3" (1819) Winteringham Fair was for horned cattle and goods.
Between 27th September 1801 and April 18th 1802 there were 27 consecutive burials at Winteringham Church - all of children, 8 years old and younger!
175: In the nineteenth century, one Winteringham
man is reputed to have walked 7 miles a day, six days a week with his wheelbarrow for 30 years. That’s the equivalent of more than 2½ times round the world ... and all with the same wheelbarrow!
176: Winteringham FC play on a football pitch lower than any of the 92 pitches in the whole of the football league!
177: Winteringham was a largely sober place in 1883. The Winterton
Brewster Sessions revealed that there were 81 convictions for drunkenness in the year. These were Frodingham 35, Messingham 17, Winterton 9, Burringham 8, Ashby 6, Burton 5, Winteringham 2, and Appleby
178: In 1860, one pig raised in the village, weighed in at more than a quarter of a ton after it had been killed at eighteen months!
179: In the 1850s the Reading Society met every
Monday, frequently having lectures to packed audiences.
180: In the 1880s, Winteringham contracts were not binding unless a straw was inserted into the top of the document.
Embroidery and sewing were important in both private and nationally maintained schools in the village, and those schools appeared to have a reputation for high-quality in the nineteenth century. A sampler
produced at the National School in 1878 by Evalina Evratt was recently sold on Ebay for over £143! Evalina became a seamstress later in life.
Winteringham had windmills for many centuries, in various parts of the parish, and of various kinds (postmills, tower mills, etc). However, it seems the last day of milling using wind power was on 20th April 1885, when a sail fell off … in a gentle breeze!
183: Market Hill used to have a line of shops on the north side.
184: In days gone by, it wasn’t unusual for children to be baptised within hours, or days of being born, which could mean
children being baptised a long way from home if the mother was visiting elsewhere. In 1909, Charles and Emily King from Salisbury, Rhodesia, had their daughter Freda baptised at Winteringham! Is she the
child furthest from home to be baptised here?
185: As late as 1953, Winteringham still had more than a dozen working farm horses.
186: With Read's Island growing and shrinking, and
the "mainland" having mudbanks deposited and land washed away, Winteringham's natural land area probably changes more than any other Lincolnshire village.
187: Winteringham objected to
the building of docks at Hull! Brigg apparently objected too!
188: Maps sold for public use just before the Great War, show the railway in existence between Winteringham and Barton, and Whitton
and Alkborough even though they were never built! The Barton line from Winteringham would have included a level crossing in Low Burgage, and another close to Low Farm on Sluice Lane, a bridge over the
Ancholme, and a tunnel between Ferriby and Barton, if the route shown on the map was accurate.
189: In the 18th century, the Rector was obliged by custom to keep a bull and a boar for the use of the
190: The road past Grange Farm was made by the Enclosure Commissioners in the late 18th century.
191: An old postcard of Winteringham Station is featured on an American political
192: Fishing was an industry recorded in Winteringham from Domesday times to the nineteenth century.
In 1801, Winteringham's population was four times the size of Scunthorpe’s. Winteringham remained the bigger of the two until the early 1870s!
194: Booth Nooking Lane - is the only
lane of that name in the UK!
195: There are supposedly two ghosts in Winteringham. The one on Puddingpoke Lane (Hewde Lane) and one (according to the Lincolnshire Life article of January 1966) at the
Ermine Street End of Composition Lane - the now-gone grass triangle at the end being called "Goslah Green."
196: Three weeks ago, we remarked on Winteringham having a larger population than
Scunthorpe until the 1870s. It was also bigger than many well known Lincolnshire resorts - Chapel St Leonards until 1951, Ingoldmells until 1971, Cleethorpes until 1841, Sutton-on-Sea until 1911, and Skegness
197: In the 1950s, there was a concern that one of the UK’s new V-Bombers might crash almost anywhere. To facilitate the local policeman affecting a rescue, he was provided with a
large chart of the aircraft, and a gas mask!
198: In the early 1660s, a number of Winteringham Quakers, anabaptists, and “absenters” were excommunicated by the church for various
“transgressions, including refusing to go to church to make public thanksgiving after delivery from the peril of childbirth, for burying their dead in an orchard, for ploughing on the feast of St Michael, and
for being “idle and obstinate person refusing our parish church.”
200: Among the many colourful field names recorded by the 1933 WEA Group were such wonderful ones as Nanny Willey’s Parlour,
Whancho Field, and Agnustow.
201: King George and Queen Ethel! In the first decade of the 20th century, Winteringham's parents chose George as the most popular boys' name, and Ethel as the most
popular for girls.
202: Winteringham has had at least four tall industrial chimneys - two at the cement works, one at the mill in High Burgage, and one down Low Burgage near the railway station.
200 years ago, the year 1810 saw 18 girls and just 9 boys born and baptised in Winteringham. By the end of the year, only 5 of those boys survived.
204: Bad winter weather has caused Winteringham to be
cut off from the outside world on more than one occasion. In 1947, however, with supplies short in the village a cart drawn by two horses made the trip to Winterton to replenish supplies of bread, eggs,
groceries and mail!
205: Sports have taken place in many fields in Winteringham including at Town End (the great weekend of July 1907), the Croft (cricket), Waterside (football), Seeds Field (especially for
coronations), Cowgangs (sledging) as well as the current village playing field.
206: Winteringham's nearest "aerodrome" was less than a mile outside the village boundary - in a field near
207: Maltkiln Celebrations! Winteringham's VE Day celebrations were held in the Low Burgage maltkiln!
208: Among lots of Railways that were planned but never built in
Winteringham, was one from Alkborough and Whitton diverting across Waterside and Marsh Road to the Station, and in the early days of the railways, one from Barrow-on-Humber to Gainsborough!
209: In the 1880s,
Mr Marshall was fined for erecting his steam engine 24 feet from the road, when the limit was 25 feet!
210: The recently released computer simulation game “Railworks” has an imaginary world (as
well as several based on real routes) of a port on an estuary based on a place where a creek flowed into the river, a spur off the York to Grimsby Railway....
211: Before the Humber Bridge was built, on a
clear day, the New Holland Pier and the Humber ferries could be seen from the playground of Winteringham School.
212: Winteringham is built on a hill of oolitic limestone.
213: 109 years ago the most
common surname in the village was Robinson (28 people); it was followed by Brumby and Burkill, (each 26).
214: 109 years ago the most common first names for boys were John, then George, whilst for girls it
was Ann-Anne-Annie, then Mary.
215: On 1st March 2011, the current Winteringham School will have been open for EXACTLY the same length of time as the National School!
216: Despite only seeing a maximum
of three trains each way per day, Winteringham station passenger platforms had two faces! One straight through, and one for the branch to Whitton!
217: One of Samantha Cameron’s (the Conservative
leader’s wife) ancestors was a major backer of the NLLR to Winteringham.
218: The 1901 Census begins with the five almshouses at Town End - probably the poorest people in the village, whilst other
censuses started with some of the richest!
219: Had the NLLR been extended to Barton, it would have originally joined the Barton Branch through the coalyard, NOT end on to the existing line! This was
220: An escaped convict was once discovered at the Grange, whilst a deserter from the army was once discovered working in Button's brickyards!
221: According to a map of 1719,
there was not a single house on Back Lane!
222: Winteringham Church includes stone dressed spanning a period of close on 2,000 years!
223: When the line from Scunthorpe to Winteringham was opened, the
fare from Winteringham to Scunthorpe was 8½d. In current coinage that equates to about 3½p!
224: The sloop that was used to transfer cattle, sheep and horses between Read’s Island and the
“mainland” was called the Providence. Eventually she became so infested with rats that she was beached on the island and burned there!
225: There are now at least 6 lakes in
226: South Side estate sits on the site of a field once called “Backside Furlong!"
227: According to maps, the course of the Haven has changed more in the last 20 years than it
had in the previous 200!
228: The brick and concrete base of the four-gun emplacements in Winteringham are still in existence about 70 years after they were built!
229: Read's Island cattle were
transported between the island and the mainland on a World War 2 landing craft.
230: Of all the patients in Brigg Union Workhouse in the 1861 census, not one was born in Winteringham.
231: Regarded as
very unusual for the time, the Winteringham bus routes frequently had a woman bus driver of the double-decker Lincolnshire Road Car buses in the 1950s.
232: White poppies used to be grown on the hillside
close by the church. They were used ‘for distillation.’ (According to White’s 1842 Directory).
233: Tiderace was a steam drifter, sister boat of Swell. But was never built!
Though ordered by the War Office, the war ended before she could be launched, and so was cancelled.
234: A French canal barge built at Winteringham by Routh and Waddingham during the Great War, was one of 590
operated by the Royal Engineers.
235: According to Richard Hucker, the longest straight stretch of road in England is the Ermine Street between Lincoln and Winteringham
236: The pier, or jetty, planned
for Winteringham by the NLLR was to be 187 yards long.
237: Stephen Bell was born on Read's Island in the early 1880s. Is he unique?
238: According to the 1933 Directory, coal merchant John E
Button's telephone Number was Winterton 11Y1.
239: High and Low Burgage appear to have caused some problems with their spellings and pronunciations according to the censuses. They were called
"Birdage" (1841), "Borough" (1871), and "Berridge" (1891)!
240: Mixed messages! One of Winteringham's Brick and Tile manufacturers listed in the 1871 Census was John
241: Ever wondered what School Road was called … before there was a school there?
242: In 1841 there wasn’t a single example of a boy or man called Frederick in the entire
village. By 1901, it was the fifth most popular name after John, George, William and Thomas!
243: A postcard of Manor Farm from the early years of the 20th century, tells us that the man with the mower
is called Leonard!
244: In 1610, all the weddings took place on the 10th of the month!
245: In the mid-1960s, there were still about 70 agricultural workers in the village - permanent, or part-time, or
246: As well as slag, and cement, Winteringham Station was used for agricultural produce.
247: It's been known for over 100 years that there's a seam of coal under
248: According to the Parish registers, in 1638 between 6th May and 11th February, there were eight children baptised …. And every one of them was a girl! And between those dates and
March 1640, of 30 children baptised - just 6 were boys!
249: There are more than 400 houses in Winteringham.
250: According to an early OS map, an industrial building long gone by the Haven Drain in
Low Burgage was called Tinkle House!
251: The snows of 2010 conjured up memories of the village being cut off in 1947 and again in about 1957.
252: Winteringham’s position on the Humber, together
with the hills and Marsh give it one of the most complex geological foundations in the entire British Isles!
253: When Winteringham experienced similar weather to that currently, in 1947, Ralph Harrison,
Arthur Wardle (the postmaster), Fred Willis, Frank Marshall and Bill Weatherhogg took a horse and cart from Fred’s Co-Op farm and fetched food supplies and post from Winterton!
254: On 10th December
1610, there were two marriages - Thomas Willmson the Younger to Elizabeth Parkie, and Thomas Foster to Alice Walker; As December was the tenth month of the year at that time, they were married on 10-10-10! And
just for good measure, the only other marriage that year was on the TENTH of June!
255: According to a current advert for a house for sale in Winteringham, it has views over the Wash! The Wash is
approximately 70 miles away!
256: If all the railways that received approval for Winteringham had been built, the marsh, and the Ancholme Valley would have echoed to steam and electric locomotives
257: Winteringham is one of Lincolnshires spring-line villages. Of the many natural springs in the village, at least two have been reckoned to have healing properties!
Winteringham has probably had in excess of 5 buildings referred to as chapels, including a wayside chapel referred to by Stukely in his writings from 1724!
259: The name “Booth Nooking Lane”
appears to be unique .... perhaps unsurprising really!
260: Edward Clarvis was the Parish Clerk and schoolmaster in the 18th century, appointed by Thomas Adam. The school was “of a cheap
rate” and was attended by the children of farmers and tradespeople of other villages as well as Winteringham. The pupils attended prayers at Church on Wednesday mornings, and often a service on Thursday
evenings, when a lecture would be given.
261: Stukeley (1724) stated that the “Mayor is chosen only out of one street next the old town, where was a chapel; the bell of it now hangs in a wooden frame by
the pillory.” The street from which the Mayor was chosen being Low and High Burgage - it is interesting to note that there was a chapel there, just as there was much later (though of course
Stukeley’s chapel was nothing whatsoever to do with Methodism being many, many years before the Methodist movement).
262: In the 150 years from 1800 to 1950 there were no new roads built in
Winteringham. In the last 60 years there have been at least 5 new ones!
263: For decades, the place to sell houses, land and effects in Winteringham was the Bay Horse. Perhaps it should have been
called E-Bay Horse Inn?
264: The brick yards on the south bank of the Humber - including that at Winteringham - once manufactured most of the roofing tiles in the UK!
265: According to a book by Rev
Balleine of Bermondsey, London, published in 1909, the advice of Winteringham’s Rev Thomas Adam was sought by many .... “John Thornton came all the way from Clapham to consult him ; Venn sent the
manuscript of the Complete Duty to him for comment and criticism ; Lord Dartmouth used to ask his opinion on any matter that puzzled him ; and when Walker of Truro was troubled with scruples about the burial
service, it was to far-off Winteringham that he rode to pour out his perplexity.”
266: 100 years ago, entertainment in Winteringham would include competitive sports with high-value cash prizes, visiting
fairs, circuses, dancing bears, concerts, dancing, lectures, and for those of a quieter disposition, the village reading room! As well as all that each of the chapels, the church, and the National School would
take children on “Treats.”
267: 100 years ago, Winteringham had TWO steam mills!
268: Before 1649, many Parish records were in Latin. Winteringham’s were in English. In
1649, during the time of “the Commonwealth” it was ruled that Parish Registers must be kept in English ... those at Winteringham switching to Latin!
269: Winteringham shares its name with a
well-known furniture designer, a floral artist, a soldier of the Spanish Civil War, a well-known American attorney, an Australian warship, a “village” on the eastern Seaboard of the United States, a Hall
in Cambridgeshire, and a village in North Yorkshire!
270: The sunken lane, known as “the train” by generations of children using the “sledging field” was the road leading to the back
gate of Winteringham Hall.
271: Read’s Island is now similar to how it was 200 years ago.
272: Each chapel, and the church (and the National School) had “treats” for children who
attended there. This tradition continued well into the middle of the 20th century!
273: According to Google Earth, the greatest differences in height above sea level in the parish are almost at the
extremes! 0 feet above sea level close to the foreshore near Ferriby Sluice, and 138 feet at the junction of Cliff Road and the A1077!
274: On June 20th 1851 Winteringham Church was reopened after major
structural changes and improvements by the future Archbishop of Canterbury Charles Longley, (but at the time Bishop of Ripon).
275: Winteringham National School cost £300 to build, with a further classroom
built at a later date, costing £100.
276: Winteringham already had a ferry at the time of the Domesday survey (1086)
277: Although it is reported that a seam of coal was found under Winteringham in
1907, it had been found two years earlier at Tinkle Brewery!
278: More than a century ago Winteringham had tennis courts, a cricket pitch, a football pitch, cycling and athletic tracks (though some of these
were purely temporary), and sufficient silverware to embarrass most current professional football clubs!
279: According to Rev TFR Read, before the National School building was erected, the school was held in
a private house.
280: Farm carts used to descend Sutton’s Hill with the aid of a “shoe” that locked one wheel, and slid on the surface, requiring the horses to continue pulling the cart,
even though they were heading downhill.
281: The grass triangle at the junction of School Road, Market Hill and Back Lane is the only one left in Winteringham. There used to be others at the junctions
of Marsh Lane and Waterside; Ferry Lane and West End; and Western Green and Marsh Lane.
282: The maltkiln in Low Burgage (there was also one in West End) was used for dances, whist drives and other social
events from the 1920s to the 1940s.
283: When Lorraine Carey climbed Mont Blanc - Europe’s highest mountain, surely, she was the first, and so far only, resident of Winteringham to do so?
Most Winteringham roads are 40 feet from hedge to hedge.
285: Winteringham is exactly halfway between London and the England-Scotland border (measured as the crow flies).
286: Winteringham is exactly
the same distance (as the crow flies) from both Edinburgh and Cardiff!
287: Winteringham has the longest single word place name in North Lincolnshire (together with Killingholme).
288: The NLLR between
Winteringham and Whitton stations was the most northerly of all railway lines in Lincolnshire .... by just a few feet more than the lines on New Holland Pier!
289: Is Winteringham unique in being a village
having THREE roads leading into it from the same direction (south), but NONE heading out in the opposite direction?
290: Most of Winteringham’s roads have names the origins of which can be explained
historically, or geographically. However, Silver Street appears to be a mystery lost in time. There are many examples of “Silver Streets” all over the world ... but the origins of most are
291: The current Queen has passed through the parish, but how many more serving monarchs have done so? Possibly Wintra in the Dark Ages, and Harald Hardrada in 1066. Any more
292: 45 years ago, 8% of the entire population worked on farms, at least part-time or seasonally.
293: The current school roll is almost identical in size to the school roll 100 years
294: This week is Quaker week. Winteringham was one of the chief villages for Quakers 350 years ago, and even today the influence of those Quakers is felt in Winteringham due to the charities they
295: The current Winteringham School has now been open longer than was the National School. The date when the current school passed its predecessor was 1st March 2011!
296: In the 1960s,
there was only one farm above 300 acres, but 5 smallholdings of under 5 acres!
297: Although Winteringham was possibly the very first place on the south bank of the Humber to have a jetty (in Roman times) it
is the ONLY place on the south Humber bank NOT to have one in the past century!
298: A hundred years ago, Winteringham still had at least two tall “factory style” chimneys within the built up area
of the village.
299: At least two Winteringham men fought in American wars. John Forster fought in the American War of Independence, and William Brumby fought for the North in the American Civil
300: Tranymere Corner is a unique name! There’s not even a Tranymere Road, Avenue, Street or Lane anywhere else in the UK (according to the Royal Mail website).
301: A road and rail
bridge at Alkborough, to link Winteringham with the Isle of Axholme was turned down THREE times!
302: Dancing bears, circuses, and steam horses have all visited Winteringham in times gone by.
Winteringham became a primary school in January 1940. Prior to this, pupils had remained at the school (and its predecessor - the National School) until they attained the school leaving age.
postcard now on the hi-res site was written on a Monday morning. It is clear from the script that the sender expected it to be delivered in the Isle of Man BEFORE the following Wednesday so that the receiver
would be ready for their return that morning!
305: Winteringham used to have its very own “Dividend Club” which would, amongst other things, pay out to members for sickness, and for
306: Coal was dug at Tinkle Mill on February 14th 1905, and was also reported elsewhere in 1907!
307: It used to be a requirement for Winteringham houses to have a pole outside the house to
remove burning thatch!
308: The changing face of the village …. At the same time that the National School was preparing for closure, the famous elm trees a few yards away in the churchyard were being
309: Tom Thrush Lane is apparently unique!
310: Winteringham’s stretch of the Ermine Street is rather crooked .... but Waterside, Booth-Nooking Lane and Rotten Sykes are dead
311: Until the 20th century, almost every house in West End faced south!
312: The earliest Ordnance Survey maps name the lane we now call “Waterside” as Marsh Lane (with Marsh
Road leading from West End to Marsh Lane).
313: Winteringham has, or had, ALL the materials for building houses within the parish .... cement, sand, stone, bricks, pantiles, .... and reeds or straw for
314: What do Winteringham and Barry, South Wales have in common? They’re the only two places with streets called “Meggitt” - though Winteringham’s is Meggitt Lane, and
Barry’s is Meggitt Road! Winteringham’s is the older of the two.
315: What do Winteringham and Barry, South Wales have in common ... 2? Both places have links to Dick Turpin.
Local lore suggests that Dick acquired Black Bess from a farm in Barry, whilst we all know about his Winteringham links (they’re on the History site).
316: The longest list of abbreviations for services
offered at Winteringham Post Office appear in the Kelly’s 1905 Directory! This is what was on offer .... Post, M. 0. & T. 0., T. M. 0.. E. D.. P. P., S. H. & A.& I. Office
317: Did the
Romans have a hosepipe ban too? Perhaps not - but not only did they have any number of springs (and health-giving ones at that!) in Winteringham, but they also had numerous wells!
318: April 2011 was
the driest month in Winteringham in the last 22 years ... and possibly ever .... when just 3mm of ‘rain’ was recorded! (3mm is approximately one-tenth of an inch)
319: Exactly four years to
the day before Hitler was born, one sail fell off Winteringham Windmill for “no obvious reason” .... taking with it, according to the report in the Hull Packet, “part of the iron cross
320: April 2011 was the driest on record …. And April 2012 was the wettest!
321: Had the 1913 extensions to the NLLR been built, it would have been possible to travel by rail all the way
along the south bank of the Humber from Burton Stather to Cleethorpes, almost always having the Humber in sight from the carriage window (though near Goxhill the line would have been 2.6 miles from the river).
It would of course have been necessary to reverse at Winteringham.
322: Winteringham has provided some of the best views of Britain’s newly-built military aircraft after they took off from the factory
at Brough .... and often overflew Winteringham on their first flights!
323: The keel May Day was repaired at Routh and Waddingham’s yard at Winteringham .... but it’s name was simply a reference
to a special day in the calendar (celebrated in a unique way at Winteringham) - not to the distress call which was only devised in 1923.
324: For the Coronation in 1911, not only did Winteringham get a new
village pump, but there was also a huge beacon on Beacon Hill (above the Church) from where many other beacons could be spotted across the Humber!
325: Winteringham is a very rare example of a village built
on a north-facing slope!
326: Whilst Europe had all eyes on Kiev this week ... someone in Kiev was more interested in downloading the NLLR route including Winteringham!
327: Winteringham’s hill
was formed from billions of sea creatures millions of years ago, when the area was covered by the sea.
328: Winteringham has had almost as much rain this year, in just over six months, than for ALL of last
329: If the 1887 OS map is accurate, the village was full of trees at that time, many of which were in orchards. The Croft had 8 trees in it (not counting those close to the edge of the
330: The brother of Olympic medal winner, Lal White, ran the Ferry Boat Inn!
333: If you survived infancy and accidents, you were likely to live to an average of 73 years at the end of the 19th
century in Winteringham! By 1900, you could expect to live until almost 80!
334: It's rare to find women of the same forename several times consecutively in the censuses (because it would usually
mean at least one must be the Head of the Household). However, in the 1871 census of Winteringham, there are FOUR consecutive Marys listed in Silver Street! Mary Lord, Mary A Smith (servant), Mary A
Scarbrough, and her servant, Mary Reed!
335: In the 1960s, Winteringham’s farms raised fewer than 800 chickens - an insignificant number compared to the tens of thousands raised in the village
336: Mere Lane .... what does it mean? A mere can be an expanse of water .... BUT it can also mean a border! Is Mere Lane simply referring to the border between Winteringham and
Winterton? (From the middle English word: maere).
337: Me an my muther was so scar'd when we seed her that we run'd hoam, an went at door as if we was ready for th' 'sylum; an' my
faather, as didn't knaw what was up, holla's oot, "Hohd hard, while I get her oppen, or you'll be ramm' in." (Report of a boggard, or ghost, in Winteringham)
338: William Stukeley described Winteringham in 1724 as “a poor and dirty place!”
339: Winteringham had a passenger train service AND a passenger bus service for just 3 years and eight months (1921-1925)
340: Shepherds counted sheep in their own counting system. This is hardly news, as it comes up on a regular basis on radio, TV, children’s programmes (I’ve even seen it in school maths books!) and in magazines. But it is thought to have been first written down in the early 1800s from a list given by an old Winteringham shepherd! So next time you hear it - remember you're hearing some old Winteringham words!
341: When St Etherldreda reached the safety of Winteringham, she was accompanied by her maidens … called Sewara and Sewenna
342: Bishop White, whose zeal in the rooting out of heresy much commended him to the queen, was in September, 1556, translated to the see of Winchester. Earlier in the year he visited his diocese [of Lincoln] ' roundly ' by authority of Archdeacon Pole,' the various matters brought up before him on that occasion furnishing an interesting picture of the condition of the people at that time. A man and woman of Winteringham being presented for adultery, the bishop set the woman this penance, '
That the said Emma shall ride through the city and market of Lincoln in a cart and be ronge out with basons,' the sheriff was ordered to see to the execution of the sentence.
343: The first groom recorded in the Parish Registers for 1631 is Michaell Weatherall junior. 5 weeks later, the next entry is for Michaell Weatherall senior!
344: The truck, or trolley, or soapbox seen here, was featured in at least three postcards of the village! And you can spot them all on the 2013 Village Calendar available from Kay!!
345: The first person referred to as a schoolmaster in the village was Thomas Hill, who was buried in 1644!
346: At the height of the railways in Lincolnshire, there were just 13 terminii in the county! Of those, no fewer than THREE were on the NLLR - Scunthorpe, Winteringham and Whitton. The full list of the others is: Fockerby, Barton, New Holland, Immingham Dock, Immingham Eastern Jetty, Cleethorpes, Skegness, Spilsby, Horncastle, and Stamford.
347: With the recent discovery of a third photo of Winteringham taken by Lewis Carroll, there still remain at least three still to find!
348: Charles Dodgson numbered his photographs, and we number roads. Coincidentally, his number for his photograph of Rev Read was 1077 …. The same as the A road in the parish!
349: In the 1660s several of the village Quakers had their land taken off them when they refused to give tithes to the Church, swearing an oath, or not having their babies baptised in the Church (of England). The removals were effected by the stewards of Thomas Fanshaw, Lord of the Manor at Winteringham, or by Edward Boteler the Rector.
350: The ancient “beautifully lined” well south of the Old Rectory is marked on the 1968 OS 1:2500 map, but not on the one from 1908.
351: Did the legendary King Arthur fight an epic battle at Winteringham? An academic paper suggests he might have done so!
352: We’ve found a few songs that include lyrics with Winteringham road names .... West End, Silver Street, Marsh Lane, Waterside and Southside (and ALMOST Ferry Lane) ... but we’re struggling on Low and High Burgage, Hewde Lane .... and we might have to admit that a song lyric including Meggitt Lane is unlikely!
353: Does the name “Gate End” refer to it being the end of the pre-Roman hilltop trackway “Earlsgate?” And if you live on West End, or perhaps High Burgage, are you living on a road that is well over 2,000 years old?
354: If Old Street Hedge indicated the original line of Ermine Street to the Humber, then “Ermine Street” crosses “Ermine Street” 675 yards east of Gate End!
355: When the first detailed OS Map was produced of the village, there wasn't a single house on the roads we now call Cliff Road, Winterton Road, Mere Lane, Cockthorne Lane, Hewde Lane, or School Road. Apart from the Grange, there wasn't a single house from the built up silver Street, all the way to Tranymere Corner! And of course, Southside didn't exist at all! The almshouses at Town End were the last of the village houses!
356: Among Winteringham’s unique road names is Cockthorne Lane! According to Google Earth, there’s not another road, street, lane, avenue (or any other track!) called Cockthorne! However, according to a pilot-navigation website, a field at Market Rasen is also called Cockthorne.
357: Winteringham Village Pump was opened in 1911 to celebrate the Coronation that year ….. But makes no mention of the name of the King!
358: When a Roman Well was discovered in 1939 at Winteringham, it was reported in ... the Western Gazette - a local newspaper based in Somerset!
359:From opening to being abandoned, Winteringham’s last mill lasted just 6 years!
360: The house “Marmion” on School road was partly built from bricks salvaged from the mill in Low Burgage.
361: Whisky bottled by merchant Joseph Burkill in Winteringham in the 19th century retailed at £1 a bottle!
362: Winteringham’s famous Billy-Boy boat “Aimwell” was tied up in King’s Lynn on the night of the 1881 census. Two boats away was “William and Lucy” ..... another boat built on the Haven!
363: One of the millstones set into the wall of Mill House carries the inscription: Stapleton 1858
364: Alan Frost stated that village “cowkeepers” kept their cows in Cowgang and sometimes milked them there!
365: A window cleaning liquid (something like “Windowlene”) was made in Marsh Lane during the years before and after the Great War
366: The Parish Pump at Town End originally had two spouts. In addition to the “normal” spout, there was a higher one for filling tanks on carts - what we would now call “bowsers.”
367: When using a search engine that suggests place names, only the first seven letters of the village name (12 letters long) are required before "WINTERINGHAM" is suggested.
368: The "dilly cart" means a trolley, or soapbox, in Cornwall. In 20th century Winteringham …. It meant something completely different!
369: With Henry Kirke White’s books now being out of copyright, you can buy brand new versions of them specially printed!
370: No-one died in Winteringham in 1894!
371: In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Winteringham Fair was an enormous draw, with crowds coming by ferry from Hull, silver bands playing music, a church parade, and sports that saw competitors from Hull, Grimsby, Doncaster and all places between with enormous trophies and cash prizes!
372: There wasn’t a single building on the south side of School Road, until the school was built in 1928!
373: Waterside Road used to have lots more houses - many in the fields near the brickworks
374: Winteringham’s southern parish boundary, is almost dead straight from east to west ... setting a pattern that is repeated through many Lincolnshire parishes bordering the Ermine Street
375: Old Humber Conservancy Board charts of the Humber, gave three barns as points of navigation along the shore opposite Read’s Island. These were labelled “Triplets Barn”, Sluice Lane Barn, and Haven Barn.
376: The Largest field in the parish is on Waterside.
377: Frederick Draper appears to have been the longest serving Headteacher at Winteringham School, notching up about 30 years as head of the National School, and then of the (current) primary school!
378: In July 2011, Lincolnshire Pride Magazine named Winteringham as one of the 10 best villages in the (traditional) County of Lincolnshire!
379: Whilst waiting for Alice in Wonderland to be published, Lewis Carroll spent a whole week in Winteringham, preaching on the Sunday, and photographing his hosts and other locals!
380: 1906: A Mr Brewer and others took off by balloon from near the Albert Hall in London at 8:10pm on Saturday 1st September. After losing their bearings they discovered they were over Brigg by 5:20am on Sunday, read Appleby's railway station nameplate from 500 feet above it, and at 6:05 am passed over Winteringham and crossed to Brough, eventually landing at Skerne near Driffield 11 hours and 40 minutes after setting off!
381: 1922: On Saturday 22nd April, Winteringham Rovers FC, already champions of the Barton and District League, beat the team selected from the other teams in the league 5-0!
382: A regular boat from Winteringham to other ports round the 1820s and 1830s was the Mayflower. Sometimes it went to Boston …….
383: If you travel from Newhaven to Dieppe by Ferry nowadays, you'll travel on the Seven Sisters ferry. However, one Winteringham boat and regular visit to Goole, Boston and the east coast was the Five Sisters.
384: On 10th July 1920, two clubs resigned from the Bennett Football League. They were Scunthorpe and Lindsey United (the club that is now Scunthorpe United) and …. Winteringham Rovers!
385: A dual carriageway to Winteringham? Lindsey County Council discussed the possibility in 1936! It would have replaced the road beside the Humber on Sluice Lane, because a higher government grant would have been available!
386: Blind Bob Bell sometimes used to serve behind the Bar at the Bay Horse in the mid 1930s!
387: A man, of no fixed abode stole a bike in Winteringham in the early 1930s. He was caught though when he fell off the bike, broke his collarbone, and sustained head injuries …. Resulting in a 12 months prison sentence!
388: The first luggage ticket bought on the NLLR to Winteringham belonged to Mr Dain of Normanby, who paid for his bike!
389: On 16th May 1908, Winteringham CC included a father and 5 sons in the same team. They played Scunthorpe Primitives.
390: The 1906 Winteringham Sports held on Saturday 14th July, included a bun-eating contest for boys, won by C Howden!
391: The fastest trains on the NLLR were timetabled to average more than the speed limit!
392: In July 1888, the Stamford Mercury reported that the salmon caught in the Humber between Winteringham and Ferriby Sluice were quite exceptional. One weighed 36lbs. They were sold for 10d to 1s a pound.
393: You've heard of ice-hockey …. Well, that was played at Winteringham in January 1881 …. But have you heard of ice cricket that was played between two Winteringham teams on the same day as the hockey?