Whitton was on the Branch line from Winteringham to Alkborough in the first proposals of the North Lindsey Light Railway in 1898.
Whitton Station in 1918 (from a painting spec of that year):
The platform: 3 wooden lamp-posts and brackets; 1 platform seat; open pale gate; nameboard
Station building: doord, windows, barge and fascia boards, moulds, soffit boarding, purloins, ventilators, screen, clock, gutters, downpipes, 3 fire buckets,
enamel name plate
Gentleman’s closet, ladies room, general room, booking office, general stores, including 11 mile plate and posts, platelayers’ trolley, lever frame, weigh
office, yard gates, posts, etc.
The construction of the Whitton Branch stopped in October 1907. The Great Central had, to all practical senses, recently taken over and were being asked
by the NLLR Board to sanction a slice of money from the GCR to continue with the building. The GCR (that is, Sam Fay) informing the Board that with the way the finances of the NLLR were run and maintained, the
GCR would put a block on further work. A Board minute of 5th August 1910 states that the GCR advanced £5,000, but not paid for as yet.
The Branch was inspected by the BoT and opened for traffic on 1st December 1910.
The branch was Railway No 5 of the contract for the NLLR and entailed:
6,308 cubic yards of earthworks, 2 miles 2 furlongs and 9 chains in length (630-10-0)
Permanent way and fencing (£4,725)
Siding and junction (£300)
The Pier at Whitton was approved by the BoT in 1864 and was owned by J. Gaulton-Constable, and it was demolished by Mr Gaulton-Constable in 1921.
The railway at Whitton comprised of 7 acres at £770 cost from W. Gaulton-Constable.
It appears that the (about) midday passenger train out of Scunthorpe Station travelled up and back to Whitton, the other two passenger services did not.
The passenger services ceased totally on 13th July 1925. The post-World War One application of chassis to bus bodies here meant a local bus service soon cropped up after the Great War.
One could say that the railway did not shed many a tear here, as it was the iron ore below the property of Sir B. Sheffield that was the over-riding concern and was so from the very beginning.
There was generally a single goods up to Whitton and back to Frodingham each weekday.
The West Halton to Whitton section of the NLLR was shut to traffic in 1951. It appears that a fair number of wagons were stored along the branch and
when the time came to retrieve them, all the wagon bearings had gone!
On 20th February 1954 Winteringham and Whitton Parish Councils wanted to convert the 1½ miles of track for a road, but Lindsey County Council refused to
“Station Road” is all that is left as a reminder.